News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Hands-on: iPad Pro Magic Keyboard with trackpad - worth the weight?

Started by Redaktion, April 30, 2020, 06:28:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Magic Keyboard with built-in trackpad support has been a long time coming from Apple. Ten years long, in fact. To say its arrival has been eagerly awaited is an understatement so there is weight of expectation as well as the actual weight of the device itself to contend with. But in the end, is the weight worth it?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Hands-on-iPad-Pro-Magic-Keyboard-with-trackpad-worth-the-weight.463209.0.html

Marieke

That's all fun and games until you load TYPO3 with the mobile Safari and realize it still does not work the way it should.

Sanjiv Sathiah

It's funny you should mention that, but I did 95 percent of this article on the iPad using Typo 3. I was using Firefox, although Apple has extended Safari on iPad to make it more equivalent to its Mac version.

_MT_

I guess the weight is in a large part a price for stability. And the cantilever mechanism actually pushes centre of gravity forward. Meaning, it would probably have to be even heavier to offer the same stability without it. Since they decided to forgo a kickstand (and I don't like kickstands). Of course, depending on the weight of the mechanism itself.

It's funny, but I don't use mouse a lot when working with text. I simply do selections, deletions, insertions using a keyboard. It's just faster most of the time and quite precise (I hate artifacts like double spaces from imprecise manipulation). And I'm not even talking about an editor designed with this in mind (you can do proper magic with advanced shortcuts and scripts). That's why I consider cursor keys the most important keys. I use them constantly. On the other hand, for example styling a document in Word, definitely a mouse job.

I hope this article wasn't written on the iPad as it seems a bit repetitive and not well edited. Perhaps the worst I have read from you. It wouldn't be a very convincing performance.

Sanjiv Sathiah

_MT_  It was interesting to read your comments about working with text. I don't use the arrow keys nearly as much as you from the sounds.

And yes, this article was written on the new iPad Pro Magic Keyboard, rather than on a desktop where I normally write my articles. It was helpful to give it a good go on a more in depth piece, but it might have been better to have written the piece in my more familiar working environment in retrospect. I've since tweaked it a little. Thanks for reading and for your feedback.

Marieke

The TYPO3 Page Tool's countless text boxes would be a pain to work with without a mouse or a touchpad. So the CMS works fine on the iPad, all you have to do is download Firefox, is that what you are saying? That is nice to hear. Man, Windows 10 has become so bloated and unfriendly these days, one would be forgiven for thinking Microsoft is deliberatly pushing us towards macOS and iPadOS.

Hats off for replying to the comments!

jodiuh

Quote from: Marieke on April 30, 2020, 14:19:44Hats off for replying to the comments!

All the hats...throw them all in the air!

Thanks for the article. I'm sure I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting the 12.9" review, but this looks promising.

S.Yu

This "review" is sorely lacking, for example it does not address stability of the "floating" display while typing, and does not address the feasibility of a mixed interaction with touch, digitizer, mouse and keyboard, which could in fact be quite common if used like a Surface Pro, the device it would seem to directly compete with.
I watched a short hands on video and was disappointed to see that the second C port passes nothing but power, and that the hinge actually only locks to a fixed angle, which is very limiting compared to other solutions.

Sanjiv Sathiah

S.Yu - Thanks for reading. This is a 'hands-on' piece and is not meant to be a full and comprehensive review, which is why it is not labelled as such. I can, however, report that the stability of the iPad on the hinge is rock solid. It is not different in feel to tapping on a Surface Pro with kick stand. I did comment on the intereaction between typing using the screen - it is very natural and seamless. As mentioned, the fact that it is elevated makes this much easier. The hinge locks to a certain angle maximum angle, but can be adjusted downwards and in between.

Sanjiv Sathiah

Marieke - I can't be certain that Firefox will be the solution to your issues when working with Typo3 -- however, I can say the functionality I am getting with it on the iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard/Firefox combo is the closest I've gotten to getting the same functionality as using a regular laptop or desktop.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview