News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Philips reveals 34-inch Momentum UltraWide gaming monitor with 144 Hz refresh rate that could be ideal for the PS5 and Xbox Series X

Started by Redaktion, April 27, 2020, 12:46:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Philips has announced the new 345M1CR Momentum UltraWide gaming monitor, which could be an option for gamers pondering about what to use with a future purchase of either a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X. The 34-inch curved-screen monitor can manage a 144 Hz refresh rate and offers a high WQHD resolution (3440x1440).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Philips-reveals-34-inch-Momentum-UltraWide-gaming-monitor-with-144-Hz-refresh-rate-that-could-be-ideal-for-the-PS5-and-Xbox-Series-X.463059.0.html

Valantar

Third time I've seen this marketing spiel for this monitor now, and it still doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Consoles - including the upcoming ones - don't support 21:9 resolutions. Why would a 21:9 monitor then be "ideal" for console use?

niersende

Quote from: Valantar on April 27, 2020, 13:41:25
Third time I've seen this marketing spiel for this monitor now, and it still doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Consoles - including the upcoming ones - don't support 21:9 resolutions. Why would a 21:9 monitor then be "ideal" for console use?

Lmao right? Doesn't make any sense.

Rik

Companies and their reluctance to transition from the tripod looking Half life 2 stands will change when they also decide to move forward without technology from 2012. They have been dangling the higher Hz for quite some time now instead of inky blacks.

nbjiiii

It's unconfirmed if the new consoles, at least the ps5, will support ultrawide resolutions. I'm pretty sure they won't and this publicity is stupid either way with no more information presented by Sony or Microsoft

I'd like to see ultra wide on the ps5, but I'm not holding my breath for it

Valantar

Quote from: nbjiiii on April 27, 2020, 19:16:09

It's unconfirmed if the new consoles, at least the ps5, will support ultrawide resolutions. I'm pretty sure they won't and this publicity is stupid either way with no more information presented by Sony or Microsoft

I'd like to see ultra wide on the ps5, but I'm not holding my breath for it
By that logic any feature that's never existed on consoles is "unconfirmed" for next gen consoles. Should we say it's unconfirmed if they will have teleportation or zero-latency quantum entanglement networking too? Nobody has said anything either way about those either after all. You are showing a clear lack of critical thinking here. Ockham's razor says the solution requiring the lowest number of new assumptions is most likely to be correct; consoles not supporting 21:9 requires no new assumptions, while them supporting it requires a series of assumptions (from there being a significant enough install base to bother, to developers wanting to deal with another aspect ratio, to possibly redesigning the console UI to fit, etc). In other words: until someone official indicates otherwise there is no reasonable grounds to think next gen consoles will support 21:9. Even on PC the number of games supporting those resolutions is disappointingly tiny. Consoles have typically targeted a single resolution, with the current generation doubling that to two (or three in the case of the XOX). Scaling resolutions is easy, different aspect ratios require significant developer effort. I might be wrong, but I feel safe in saying it's not going to happen.

Zu

IDK how this is being pitched as a monitor for consoles when there is no HDMI is only 2.0. Don't you need at least 2.1?

Valantar

Quote from: Zu on April 28, 2020, 00:15:38
IDK how this is being pitched as a monitor for consoles when there is no HDMI is only 2.0. Don't you need at least 2.1?
Only if you want 4K 120Hz and variable refresh rate support, the former of which this monitor won't need support for, and the latter... whoops, I guess?

As said above, nothing about this monitor is suitable for console use.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview