News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The MSI GF75 has a 'Silent mode'. The problem? It's not actually silent

Started by Redaktion, April 26, 2020, 20:50:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Despite the name, system fan will continue to operate at 2400 RPM for an audible noise of 33 dB(A) even when idling and doing nothing on Windows desktop.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-MSI-GF75-has-a-Silent-mode-The-problem-It-s-not-actually-silent.462439.0.html

william blake

QuoteWhen a laptop has a feature called 'Silent mode', you would expect it to be completely silent when running undemanding tasks like word processing or video playback

no :)

RicoVIking9000

Quote from: william blake on April 27, 2020, 00:44:04
QuoteWhen a laptop has a feature called 'Silent mode', you would expect it to be completely silent when running undemanding tasks like word processing or video playback

no :)

Yes? I certainly would; most laptops do, this contradicts the definition of silent, unless the definitions became subjective...

Besides, there's no reason why to not have a silent mode, any decent laptop (which this certainly is) can hold CPU idle temps of under 50 or 60C without the fans running, so if the user desires cooler temperatures, then this can be done with a cool profile setting, which will ramp up the fans slightly above what's needed to reduce internal and external temperatures

william blake

Quote from: RicoVIking9000 on April 27, 2020, 01:30:10
I certainly would; most laptops do, this contradicts the definition of silent, unless the definitions became subjective...
marketing name and word definition in the dictionary are so far apart and have always been so far apart that their matching will surprise me, not the other way around. especially when it comes to laptop noise.

DavidC1

Ehh, its no big deal. I doubt this is a big complaint for buyers of said laptop. 33dB is still pretty quiet.

Most likely they are gaming with the power plugged in which will have the fan pegged anyways.

Oh, and Notebookcheck, your recaptcha sucks!

not_anton

Different people value different things - a laptop fan pisses me off if I can hear it on idle. Especially if the manufacturer rises the fan volume trying to keep CPU under 60 degrees, when the CPU designed working temperature goes to 100 (I am looking at you, HP!).

All macbooks are dead silent on idle. When will Windows laptop copy that feature?

Alex544

Quote from: not_anton on April 27, 2020, 10:36:40
Different people value different things - a laptop fan pisses me off if I can hear it on idle. Especially if the manufacturer rises the fan volume trying to keep CPU under 60 degrees, when the CPU designed working temperature goes to 100 (I am looking at you, HP!).

All macbooks are dead silent on idle. When will Windows laptop copy that feature?

There are silent Windows laptops if you spend Apple-money such as the Razer Blade Pro. Won't throttle either, unlike the MacBooks.

Unknown

Quote from: not_anton on April 27, 2020, 10:36:40

I have a Spectre 15' 2019, when in balanced mode its dead silent the fans do not turn on unless its staying in the 80C for far too long.

qwert

It should be called "quiet mode" not "silent mode", otherwise it is just false advertising.

mik

just got one and yes the cooling fan runs continuously even when the machine is standing idle doing nothing. After just a little internet browsing the fan starts spinning crazy and kinda noisy. It's not exactly a silent laptop

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview