News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Opinion: Will Huawei smartphones become the new Lumias?

Started by Redaktion, April 12, 2020, 17:02:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The new P40 Pro perfectly illustrates Huawei's crisis in the western markets. It offers a strong hardware package and features what is likely to be the best smartphone camera, but it lacks the blessing of the US government. Microsoft has already tried and failed to create its own platform. Can the Chinese manufacturer do better?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-Will-Huawei-smartphones-become-the-new-Lumias.460710.0.html

David Blomstrom

Yes, Huawei can compete with Google outside Asia. It will have to start small, capturing niche markets - like political activists or ordinary citizens who are tired of being spied on by Google.

I used my Huawei to take photos to illustrate the first ever general political reference focusing on Seattle and Washington State. As a candidate for Washington State Governor, I'm also going to use my campaign to promote Huawei.

Anyone who competes with Google and Microsoft is my friend.

Viva the revolution!

Anonymous

Quote from: David Blomstrom on April 13, 2020, 01:15:59
Yes, Huawei can compete with Google outside Asia. It will have to start small, capturing niche markets - like political activists or ordinary citizens who are tired of being spied on by Google.

I used my Huawei to take photos to illustrate the first ever general political reference focusing on Seattle and Washington State. As a candidate for Washington State Governor, I'm also going to use my campaign to promote Huawei.

Viva the revolution!
Quite such hate/love vibe there. Let's stay objective. Remember, "being spied" by Huawei is reason why US cut ties with Huawei in the first place.

Those "niche" market and people won't do any dent. Most people are ignorance to such thing, they would not care whether they are being spied on or not.

Huawei turned back on XDA long ago, in my opinion, the last chance they can survive on the outside China market. Still, I have to admit, this one also won't make any difference.

They're dead in the water outside China.

neilhs

Even Huawei governed by CCP? Do not embarrass yourself, spend 15 minutes to learn about that regime. Nothing will ever outweigh their doings against humanity.

vrvly

Do not forget GMS is does not work with huawei, HMS works with everyone, clear advantage.
As for camera, they got best per pixel quality and all cameras perform great in low light, unlike others.
Do not forget that they beat them all with 36mp on quad camera, so basically 9mp of ordinary bayer resolution. Color sensor, ryyb sensor, 10x zoom, 2000fps slo mo with upscale, insane low light performance/iso400.000 ,...
...for that is using apps in browser for now nothing to cry about.
They got also the best foldable design which uses full size non-foldable flagships camera sensors no notches and miniature screens like some others.
They are already 808 successors. Wish they made some mirrorless full size camera.

Mofo

Viva the revolution!

So you would rather cozy up to the CCP and just brush away all the atrocities they do to there own people?
The illegal organ harvesting
The uyghur  re-education camps and it"s human right violations
Not to mention CCP spies and keeps tabs on its own people  and controls them with internet censorship, just to name a few.
Your the kind of politician that disgusts the majority of people shilling for a communist country while ignoring its own people .
I hope you lose badly , your a clown and a joke

nick georgiou

S.Yu

Viva the revolution!
This is the thing. Certain freedom of press permits a significant degree of infighting at all levels in NA and EU countries, whereas ubiquitous top-down brainwash and liberal use of indiscriminate punitive censorship in China by Xi(imagine being summoned by the police, or having your digital identity irreversibly erased because of discussions about Winnie the Pooh, and worshipping frogs) has since produced a whole generation of spineless mindless servile drones with Stockholm syndrome, and the difference in base population and an unequal language barrier has this twisted tide of ignorance and falsities spilling outside the wall polluting the web around the world.

This was clearly demonstrated by the brainwashed trolls under the NYT tweets regarding the Wuhan and Italian lockdowns mocking "double standard" of reportage, while the reality was that the standards of the lockdowns were indeed unambiguously, fundamentally different, with Italy following humanitarian principles to the extent of their powers yet the Wuhan version including but not limited to:
1. Forcing people to sleep on the streets banning them from returning to their residences outside Wuhan when they can't pay for their hotel rooms or when they fail to present credentials to the Party's Neighborhood Committee proving that they live in their own local apartments, sometimes because said credentials are left in said apartments, sometimes because the landlord failed to file them due to tax evasion attempts. Some caretakers were blocked, either at city limits or right in front of their building from returning to the disabled resulting in deaths of cerebral palsy patients and the mentally handicapped by sheer starvation.
2. Throwing cancer patients out of hospitals requisitioned for COVID-19 (while not exclusive to Wuhan, China is the only government, perhaps beyond North Korea, that banned coverage of such actions, as usual, in an effort to preserve the blind nationalism), this also differentiates from merely refusing to admit new patients(because you have an obligation in a patient-doctor relationship, which has yet to form with a new patient, then again, there isn't a proper relationship as such in most Chinese hospitals), or discharging patients due to an inability to isolate them like in NY, which was never an issue in Wuhan because the shortage of isolation gowns was solved days into the lockdown, and patients will remain safe as long as medical personnel are equipped with isolation gowns and properly disinfected.
3. Torturous massacres of pets with bats and sticks by the Neighborhood Committee and their subordinate "volunteers" because of rumors of the coronavirus spreading from pets to humans, even cats that never left their own household. They never apologized or made compensations, making CCP-typical excuses on infringing individual rights like "see the greater picture", and "for the greater good". To date, there is no evidence of such route of transmission of the virus, but they were never punished for their groundless brutalities.
4. Iron-fisted execution of bans with very few exceptions preventing everybody from leaving their residential complexes, sometimes even their buildings, resulting in unnecessary deaths from treatable medical emergencies because "only one person from a household may leave every 3 days", so the distressed can't be accompanied to the hospital. This also spawned pervasive corruption, because groceries were delivered to residents exclusively through channels dictated by Party officials, so the price of grocery packages, with no freedom of selection unlike a supermarket, sometimes delivered in garbage trucks, was gouged, while donations of free food from outside provinces encountered resistance in reaching residents. Much of this was also banned from spreading on social media, so some residents resorted to hanging self-made banners from balconies and shouting down at the street when Beijing came to inspect Wuhan, because promises of cheap and fresh food made on CCTV weren't fulfilled but their mouths were sealed by online censors and local officials. Such is the unhindered power of the Party, the Party Central is blinded by their own oppressive systematic infringement of citizen rights. Perplexingly, there was also a complete ban of privately owned vehicles, which further exacerbated the medical situation as some people were forced to walk themselves to hospitals even though they owned a car, and a car with a single occupant, in streets where every entrance/exit to a residential area and every entrance/exit from a highway is guarded by the Party provides zero risk of spreading the infection to anybody.

Now regarding Huawei, we're in need of a recap again(I'm not pasting links because a link or two for every lie will end up getting the post deleted as spam):

Huawei's morals as a company:
Countless lies through the years, some arguably harmless (and useless, but they lie regardless, because Huawei is a habitual liar):
1.Richard Yu said that P8 is more "competitive" than S6, which is simply an outright lie. By the vast majority of objective metric, P8 is worse than S6. An honest person with a straight mind cannot agree with his conclusion. The CEO himself is a habitual liar after all, he claimed that Kirin 970 is the first SoC with an NPU. Stands on paper, only Apple's A11 Bionic shipped first, it means nothing if you're just first to make a PPT. It's also not their NPU, it's Cambricon's, while Apple's was proprietary. He also casually lied about Kirin 980 surpassing Apple's A12, which is false by objective measures. Even the current Kirin990 is still behind A12(note that Apple's latest is A13) by most measures.
2. Various knockoffs: P7/P8, knockoffs of Sony's then Xperia Z series, and they had the audacity to use the term "balanced design" in their presentations of the devices in reference to Sony's then "OmniBalance", they didn't even bother picking a word other than "balance" to hide their intentions; AM08, knockoff of Sony's SRS-BTV25; Mate 9 Pro/"Porsche Design" Edition, front side is complete knockoff of Galaxy S6E/S7E, remove the Huawei/Porsche Design logo and it's a complete Samsung. The reason it's not really PD copying Samsung but clearly Huawei doing the copying and using the reputable German name as a facade is that the design itself is entirely incoherent with PD's aesthetics, especially in the consumer electronics department, where the products that are actually designed by PD are much more masculine in appearance, PD doesn't like to use curves here. Blackberry PD are real PD, LaCie PD are real PD, Huawei PD, the only exception, is fake. They also got their trolls to propagate the notion that the vertical dual camera placement to the side of the device was their originality, while it was in fact Apple's solution for years.
3. Huawei lied about inventing the notch, when iPX was released. Apple had the much earlier patent and even Foxconn(Sharp) had an earlier release.
4. Huawei repeated faked their photo samples, P9, Nova3i, P30Pro. It was with clear malicious intent because each time they only added disclaimers after being caught lying while they rarely apologize for any misleading marketing. Incidentally, 3 strikes(at least) makes them the leading faker of imagery used in smartphone camera advertising.
5. P30P moon faking: The clarity of moon shots by that model was in fact due to in-device high quality texture simply pasted onto photos recognized by machine learning to be of the moon. As proven by an experiment, the moon faking algorithm adds details only seen on the surface of the moon to a blurred round cutout of calligraphy falsely recognized by the algorithm to be a photo of the moon. The evidence is clear, but since Huawei pushed firmware updates, they could easily have erased incriminating evidence, just like in Taiwan Independence Gate (see below) when they pushed an overnight hotfix.
6. Longstanding tradition of lying about focal lengths: To date, all focal lengths labeled on Huawei devices are false, they're 135 equivalent, therefore the correct label must show that, because their apertures numbers are real while the sensor sizes vary, therefore it constitutes a lie on the entrance pupil, which in turn has tangible implications on performance.
7 Huawei kept lying about their slo-mo capabilities, when they only did 480fps, they claimed 960fps, when they finally did what seems to be 1920fps(but further line-skipping cannot be excluded), they claimed 7680fps.
8. Flash storage lottery: Using both UFS 2.1 and eMMC 5.1(and a faster version and slower version at that, so 3 versions of storage technology in total) in Mate 9 and P10, but first marketing it as just UFS 2.1, resulting in some people getting phones with a mere 1/4 the R/W speed of others, and of what should be expected of UFS 2.1. They later removed the marketing claim but refused to apologize, instead releasing a statement making excuses for themselves that there's "no real world difference in usage". Their own Honor 8 Pro and P10+ were released a mere two months apart, with awfully similar specs from the SoC and RAM to the screen size and weight, the only exception being one of the two camera modules, yet they were launched at £475 and £680 respectively, with P10+ a staggering 40% more expensive, now is there a "real world difference in usage" between them?
9. Huawei lied about GPU turbo, claiming during launch "60% performance increase with 30% power consumption decrease". They kept people guessing how they achieved that until 2 months later when the first device with the function, "Honor Play" was launched, only then did they add a disclaimer that "60% performance increase with 30% power consumption decrease" was actually Kirin930 w/ GPU turbo vs. Kirin920 w/o GPU turbo, while the function itself was found only to yield single digit improvements. No upright person could tolerate such shameless marketing.

Now for Huawei's political position:
Huawei receives flagrant interest-free loans from China's policy banks that sparked anti-dumping investigations by the EU, which ended due to political pressure from Beijing.
Huawei has long been known to exploit their unique position in China as the Party's favorite, winning governmental contracts through fraudulent means, most commonly lying that their ARM based CPUs are entirely secure and developed in-house, while in reality they share common vulnerabilities with all other ARM based solutions. So why are they still winning the contracts? Either the CCP is stupid(you tell me how likely that is), or the Party is keeping one eye closed, ultimately feeding Huawei more subsidies under the guise of commercial activity, requiring only that they dump their wares in international markets to gain economic and political influence.
Customers of Nokia, Ericsson etc. need to pay out of their pockets to expand while customers of Huawei could simply start rolling out new developments with money from the Chinese government. What the CCP is doing with Huawei is bribing clients to lobby on their behalf their respective governments to hand them a key to their bedroom door. No telecoms provider from any other country does this, not Nokia, not Ericsson, not Samsung. They may also hold interest in that key, or they may not, but they compete by the rules and none of them has a policy bank handing them unlimited pocket money ultimately extracted from taxpayers to achieve that.
The 251 incident, this should be (in)famous: Long story short, Huawei has power over the judicial branch(there is no branch actually since there's no separation of power in China) to jail its former employee under false charges for 251 days in an attempt to extort a false confession of fraud and NDA from him, just because he was a whistleblower for an internal corruption case in Huawei and asked that he receive his year-end bonus when he resigned after being marginalized in the company, which Huawei PR agreed to, as evident in his recording which led to his release but not to prosecution of Huawei's scums who tried to frame him under oath.
Taiwan Independence Gate, a hypocritical witch-hunt in which foreign companies like CK, Givenchy etc. were targeted in what amounts to be literary inquisition, yet Huawei received preferential censorship regarding the reportage of its sins: CK was publically defamed for "infringing on Chinese sovereignty" and stripped of its brand ambassadors just for listing Hong Kong as merely "Hong Kong" instead of "HKSAR" under "Select Country/Region", while entirely burying Huawei's whole act of making even more explicit suggestions on sovereignty: by listing "Taipei(Taiwan)" under time zone selection, Huawei suggested in certain versions of international firmware, against the Party's taboo, that Taiwan is a sovereign country(quickly revised, without acknowledgement and apology, to comply with China's political correctness, which sparked a boycott in Taiwan, but of course that was also censored), whereas CK's was merely ambiguity at "Country/Region" and failure to list HK's formal title. Compare this to the notion of the US lashing out against a company for listing Puerto Rico as is, instead of "The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, US Territory". Such absurdity is only possible if you could dictate what every major media feeds to the public and if Huawei is Xi's most spoilt brat.

Basically, the Xi regime is doubling down on its brainwash and you people are awarding them for it, and punishing the US for letting you "know too much". If the US government censored information flow regarding Google, Apple etc. to the extent the Party censors information flow regarding Huawei, you ungrateful whiners wouldn't notice a thing to complain about. David, you are a disgrace. You say on your site that "I've discovered there are very, very few people who are capable of carrying on an intelligent discussion" but in light of your Huawei pampering only exposes your own incompetence and arrogance. I happen to have relatives in Seattle, and I'll be letting people know that you're blissfully in bed with the devil and are thus unelectable.

Ahmed

Every major tech giant company lies.. Apple for slowing down their processors to force you to upgrade.. Samsung cheats on benchmarks.. The point is that when you kill competition the only loser is the consumer.. And don't forget that the USA big claim about Huawei spying is not proven till now.. With all the efforts and experts they put in the subject.. It's obvious that the real reason for the conflict is political and economical.. take the 5g matter for example.

S.Yu

I had a look at his campaign page which has apparently been abandoned since 2018, David W. Blomstrom is an unexpected, but not entirely surprising blend of Huawei sympathizer and anti-Semitic. He actually reached 4 digits in a ballot, out of 1.4M total votes though. Anyhow I certainly won't need to be bringing him to anybody's attention.

S.Yu

Quote from: Ahmed on April 14, 2020, 01:25:42
Every major tech giant company lies.. Apple for slowing down their processors to force you to upgrade.. Samsung cheats on benchmarks.. The point is that when you kill competition the only loser is the consumer.. And don't forget that the USA big claim about Huawei spying is not proven till now.. With all the efforts and experts they put in the subject.. It's obvious that the real reason for the conflict is political and economical.. take the 5g matter for example.
Typical apologist. And my usual answer for typical apologists: No single company, at least in this industry, lies as much and as blatantly as Huawei.
Your Apple example is also not a lie, because their excuse of preserving battery life cannot be disproven, moreover it's true that an aging battery has less capacity in withstanding a voltage surge, to what extent that prevents Apple's big cores from boosting is another matter that you're free to investigate.
Samsung's example is a very bad one because Huawei also cheated on benchmarks, if you're trying to score points for Huawei then don't shoot in your own goal.
>Huawei spying is not proven
Irrelevant as their sales to Iran against the sanction is reason enough for action, also by all accounts Huawei is Emperor Xi's pet, that can't be good.

Robert

Hardly a fair comparison. The Huawei P40 Pro runs most Android apps without a problem. If it's not in the AppGallery you can easily download the APK from the internet and install from there. There's only a handful of apps that depend on Google APIs that won't work, though it's only a matter of time before developers migrate from them for compatibility across all AOSP builds including Huawei and Amazon.

S.Yu

Quote from: Robert on April 14, 2020, 14:14:13
Hardly a fair comparison. The Huawei P40 Pro runs most Android apps without a problem. If it's not in the AppGallery you can easily download the APK from the internet and install from there. There's only a handful of apps that depend on Google APIs that won't work, though it's only a matter of time before developers migrate from them for compatibility across all AOSP builds including Huawei and Amazon.
You sorely overestimate the number of people sideloading apks, most act as if this option does not exist. I don't know why you believe developers will make them compatible across platforms but a lot of those apps are Google's, and obviously they'll continue to rely on Google APIs. On the other hand, Huawei has all the money in the world to burn because the Party under Xi will stop at nothing to prevent them from starving, so they definitely will gain penetration eventually, unless Xi's reign is somehow toppled unexpectedly.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview