News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Uncommon Core i9-9900T requires no active cooling, offers similar multi-thread performance to the Core i7-9750H

Started by Redaktion, April 11, 2020, 04:26:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The 8-core 35 W Core i9-9900T can stand neck-to-neck with a 45 W Core i7-9750H with nothing more than just a large heat sink... for a set amount of time, at least.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Uncommon-Core-i9-9900T-requires-no-active-cooling-offers-similar-multi-thread-performance-to-the-Core-i7-9750H.460249.0.html

joe nodden

So basically it's an octa core desktop chip on par with a hexa core laptop chip. Gotta love Intel.

_MT_

Quote from: joe nodden on April 11, 2020, 23:53:09
So basically it's an octa core desktop chip on par with a hexa core laptop chip. Gotta love Intel.
Power matters greatly. Desktop or laptop doesn't matter much. Laptops don't exist in an alternate universe with different laws of physics. And if a so called laptop chip can potentially take 90 W if not more, it really blurs the line, doesn't it. Cooling is a huge limiting factor (electric power has to turn into something - heat, sound, light; processors don't make much noise and they don't glow much either). And fully passive cooling, especially in a sealed chassis, is quite challenging. Anyway, it's a quite well known fact that from some point, increase in frequency leads to decrease in efficiency. So, for given amount of power (heat), higher core count chip should offer better performance (or, eat less power for the same performance), up to a point. Assuming your workload can scale out as well as up. Today, desktop processors have a lot of the features that were pioneered for laptops. The big difference is that a desktop can easily have beefy cooling and there is no battery to worry about which allows you to pump a lot more power into the processor. Without the cooling advantage, there is no reason a desktop chip should be better; if anything, the opposite (if there is a difference, you'd expect the laptop processor to be better at low power operation as that's bread and butter for laptops).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview