News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Opinion: An alternative take on the Exynos 990-powered Samsung Galaxy S20 range

Started by Redaktion, April 07, 2020, 12:33:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Samsung has been taking quite a lot of flak for its semi-custom Exynos 990 SoC as there are some performance differentials between it and the models shipping in its home market of Korea, China and the US, which are fitted with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865. But is the criticism truly warranted?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-An-alternative-take-on-the-Exynos-990-powered-Samsung-Galaxy-S20-range.460082.0.html

Wrong

Except the battery life is significantly worse with the Exynos and picture quality suffers too. There are multiple review sources online and youtube videos to back this up. Paying $1000+ for a phone and getting a a worse product isn't acceptable and as consumers we should demand more for our hard earned money. I have an S7 and was going to get the S20 but I'll end up getting a different brand altogether, bye Samsung!

toven

What!? How can paying the same money or even higher for an inferior product is alright with the writer? Suit yourself then. We keep our money and spend elsewhere.

S.Yu

Wow, your projection on the Exynos team is bleak. It's true that they receive far less funding than HiSilicon but I'd at least give them a chance. Then again Samsung's 5nm should fall far behind TSMC's, but that's not LSI's fault.
Quote from: toven on April 07, 2020, 13:39:32
What!? How can paying the same money or even higher for an inferior product is alright with the writer? Suit yourself then. We keep our money and spend elsewhere.
I'm really curious about this rockheaded form of thinking many display. In the UK you have Hermes, in China you have...well any delivery service except China Post is far far ahead at a mere fraction of the price. By all accounts even China Post has better service, and is even cheaper. Small parcel rates start at...the equivalent of about 20-30 cents?
Conversely Porsche is about twice the price of the US, for the same stuff. More extreme cases like Land Rover and Hummer you pay 300% or more, for the exact same stuff.
So what? It's the way it is. Phones are easy, usually smart people know to buy on Ebay etc.

Na

Wow, your projection on the Exynos team is bleak. It's true that they receive far less funding than HiSilicon but I'd at least give them a chance. Then again Samsung's 5nm should fall far behind TSMC's, but that's not LSI's fault.

I'm really curious about this rockheaded form of thinking many display. In the UK you have Hermes, in China you have...well any delivery service except China Post is far far ahead at a mere fraction of the price. By all accounts even China Post has better service, and is even cheaper. Small parcel rates start at...the equivalent of about 20-30 cents?
Conversely Porsche is about twice the price of the US, for the same stuff. More extreme cases like Land Rover and Hummer you pay 300% or more, for the exact same stuff.
So what? It's the way it is. Phones are easy, usually smart people know to buy on Ebay etc.
[/quote]

I really can't tell if you're a shill but let me explain. Firstly it's not a projection, it's a fact that an Exynos S20 is a worse product than a Snapdragon. You get significantly less battery life (especially as batteries degrade over time), poorer image quality and slower speeds on the phone. Most people buy a phone that lasts them on average 2-3 years, myself far longer. This is because these phone are ALOT of money ($1000+) for most people and we should rightly want value for our money, why don't you? I think it's disingenuous by Samsung who are selling two products under the same name, one being an objectively better phone than the other, they shouldn't be allowed to do this.

Postal systems and cars and phones are completely separate things with a myriad of different factors affecting the price which, by the way isn't what we're talking about, we're talking about two different products.

It's the way it is because consumers like yourself allow it to be the way it is, SMART PEOPLE vote with their pocket, which changes the way these companies behave.  In a competitive market the superior product will win out and in this case the S20 Exynos is not that, but that's not being documented and articles like this allow them to get away with it. So what? People end up getting less value for their money which is something we should discourage.

The author of the article should have better researched the differences between Snapdragon and Exynos and then ask him/herself which would she/he would buy $1000+ of their earned cash.

DavidN

Not sure if anything has changed, probably not, I'm still using my note 9 with Exynos. The Samsung camera app is absolutely terrible. I've always liked Google's camera app, it doesn't take washed out photos, and taking a photo at dusk doesn't leave me with a black image with shapeless blobs. But try to install and get Googles camera app to run properly on Exynos? Disaster. So we have a crap camera app, and due to the crap processor, cannot change to the app of my choice. Just to make me feel even happier about being served this underperforming chunk, Google camera runs a lot better on the Snapdragon of course...

S.Yu

Quote from: Na on April 08, 2020, 20:34:31

I really can't tell if you're a shill but let me explain. Firstly it's not a projection, it's a fact that an Exynos S20 is a worse product than a Snapdragon. You get significantly less battery life (especially as batteries degrade over time), poorer image quality and slower speeds on the phone. Most people buy a phone that lasts them on average 2-3 years, myself far longer. This is because these phone are ALOT of money ($1000+) for most people and we should rightly want value for our money, why don't you? I think it's disingenuous by Samsung who are selling two products under the same name, one being an objectively better phone than the other, they shouldn't be allowed to do this.

Postal systems and cars and phones are completely separate things with a myriad of different factors affecting the price which, by the way isn't what we're talking about, we're talking about two different products.

It's the way it is because consumers like yourself allow it to be the way it is, SMART PEOPLE vote with their pocket, which changes the way these companies behave.  In a competitive market the superior product will win out and in this case the S20 Exynos is not that, but that's not being documented and articles like this allow them to get away with it. So what? People end up getting less value for their money which is something we should discourage.

The author of the article should have better researched the differences between Snapdragon and Exynos and then ask him/herself which would she/he would buy $1000+ of their earned cash.

I really can't tell if you're a troll but let me explain. I said "Samsung's 5nm should fall far behind TSMC's", that should ring a bell that it is a projection I'm talking about, because, obviously, the latest Exynos is only on 7LPP. The author also said that "the performance discrepancy will only increase using standard ARM cores", which is a projection, because the problematic cores of the latest Exynos flagship are obviously not standard ARM cores. Did you even read the article before bashing?

>we should rightly want value for our money, why don't you
I do, in the form of buying through whatever means necessary, including eBay. I no longer consider Samsung, not because of the specific issue with the flagship Exynos in certain variants but because they removed the headphone jack from all variants. If, say, the Exynos version has the headphone jack while the SD version doesn't, I will consider the Exynos version even though my local version is SD.
They had another chance a couple months ago in the form of the Note 10 Lite, but they blew it by using a far outdated SoC. If it had SD855(which by then was year-old), I'd have taken the plunge, especially since the S-Pen isn't useless for me.
What's laughable is you calling for a boycott on all of Samsung because you don't like a specific variant of a specific product.

>I think it's disingenuous by Samsung who are selling two products under the same name, one being an objectively better phone than the other
Boy where do I start.
1. "two products under the same name, one being an objectively better phone than the other" is absolutely ubiquitous. The Audi A6 sold in China are Made in China with different build quality and specs compared to German counterparts. A recent Huawei flagship had a different mix of screen suppliers(of course, resulting in different objective measurements) depending on the region. Countless other examples.
2. Whether or not the Exynos version of S20 is worse than the SD version depends on the metric of measurement, specifically the image quality of the Exynos version is superior to that of the SD version, in a deviation from past observations, and the Exynos is more efficient at idle or low load, which is arguably what state a phone remains in most of the time.
3. Technically they don't even have the same name. The different variants have different model numbers, just like differently specced laptops, and I don't think you're whining about differently specced laptops being priced differently with pros and cons, like how a 4K screen option is always stuck to 60Hz but may be more expensive than the high refresh rate 1080P option.

>SMART PEOPLE vote with their pocket, which changes the way these companies behave
>In a competitive market the superior product will win out
>People end up getting less value for their money which is something we should discourage

You're optimistic to the point of being naïve. Even if you shout at the top of your lungs only a small minority will even be aware of this discrepancy much less defer purchase because of it. So many people who buy cars don't even know the displacement of their engines, or the cylinder number, or even if it's turbocharged or not. They buy it often because it's on sale, like the look, like the brand, or something else superficial. "People" are appallingly oblivious to "value" measured in objective standards, instead, psychological tricks rule over the market, and that is the way it is.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview