News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

5.3 GHz at 45W — Intel finally unveils the 10th generation Comet Lake-H lineup, bets on single-core performance to take on AMD Ryzen 4000

Started by Redaktion, April 02, 2020, 09:03:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After a brief announcement earlier at CES 2020, Intel has now detailed the 10th gen Comet Lake-H processor lineup that is expected to make its way to more than 100 laptop designs this year. Comet Lake-H finally breaks the 5 GHz barrier at 45 W with four out of the six SKUs in the lineup touted to have a single-core boost at 5 GHz or above thanks to Thermal Velocity Boost. How well this works in real life depends on a lot on the OEM's cooling implementation and chassis construction.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/5-3-GHz-at-45W-Intel-finally-unveils-the-10th-generation-Comet-Lake-H-lineup-bets-on-single-core-performance-to-take-on-AMD-Ryzen-4000.459586.0.html

GURVINDER S PARMAR

Intel does NOT have any CPU that can run at these speeds using 45 watts...the marketing they get away with is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Mohammed Bhram

Shame on you intel compare between core i7 7th generation and core i9 10th generation
Intel deserve to through to junk

Gianni

But with AMDs higher IPC, their 4.3GHz is on par with like 5.06GHz on an Intel processor ... So does breaking this "5 GHz barrier," mean much?

Rohan

Now that the laptop processors are unveiled, is there a possible timeframe we can expect the desktop comet lake processors to launch in

CantFindOtherName

I am not going to buy this shitty processors the only thing they have changed is  that its working with higher clock , but at same time ancient 14nm +++++ technology will probably consume half the power of our city.
And I am like living in New York

JMac

Quote from: GURVINDER S PARMAR on April 02, 2020, 13:59:50
Intel does NOT have any CPU that can run at these speeds using 45 watts...the marketing they get away with is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Do you think AMD is any different? According to them thermal watts don't equal power consumption and the law of conservation of energy must only be a guideline.

A

Quote from: JMac on April 03, 2020, 01:18:59
Quote from: GURVINDER S PARMAR on April 02, 2020, 13:59:50

Do you think AMD is any different? According to them thermal watts don't equal power consumption and the law of conservation of energy must only be a guideline.

Of course it is different.

AMD's 4900HS is 3ghz and boost clocks to 4.3ghz, a 1.3ghz boost.

The 10980HK is 2.4ghz and boost clocks to 5.3ghz, a 2.9ghz boost.

AMD's boost clocks are far more sustainable than Intel's.

Intel is trying to cheat on benchmarks by showing their single core performance to be higher than AMD (though not by much), but that can only be done on 1 core. And even then not sustainable.

Not to mention AMD is making those speeds at 35W. So my guess is they aren't even showing the full potential of their 45W yet.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: Rohan on April 02, 2020, 20:15:51
Now that the laptop processors are unveiled, is there a possible timeframe we can expect the desktop comet lake processors to launch in
Not too far away, I suppose. Earlier rumors said both H and S series launch could be on a similar timeframe. The later they defer the launch, the more ground they are likely to cede to AMD, which is making huge inroads in desktop right now.

ariliquin

YAWN... Theoretical Intel single core performance which is significantly lower than advertised under sustained load due to thermals in laptops does not compete IMHO with true power/performance benefit of 7nm AMD. Where are the flagship gaming laptops at that use AMD? Manufacturers seriously under estimated AMD here and over estimated Intel demand. 

william blake

Quote from: Mohammed Bhram on April 02, 2020, 14:20:23
Shame on you intel compare between core i7 7th generation and core i9 10th generation
shame? sad and pathetic you mean? a monopoly declares i'm an outsider now after all these years
Quote from: Gianni on April 02, 2020, 19:51:11
But with AMDs higher IPC, their 4.3GHz is on par with like 5.06GHz on an Intel processor ... So does breaking this "5 GHz barrier," mean much?
pretty safe and fair to say ipc is equal. some amd advantage if latencies does not matter, some intel advantage if they matters.
Quote from: JMac on April 03, 2020, 01:18:59
as much as i dont like lisa su and robert "4,75ghz" hallock, this type of marketing-enjoy your 5ghz printed on the box while gaming on 3ghz-is not very common.
btw its funny you said about tdp and consumption difference and mentioned amd but not intel. cringeworthy even.
Quote from: ariliquin on April 03, 2020, 09:59:49
Where are the flagship gaming laptops at that use AMD? Manufacturers seriously under estimated AMD here and over estimated Intel demand. 
ask lisa su. i heard she said she is very proud.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview