News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Is the Pixel 4 XL an unfairly overlooked flagship?

Started by Redaktion, March 29, 2020, 13:21:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With Google offering sizable cashback on the Pixel 4 series right now, we thought we would give the Pixel 4 XL a try. After a few weeks of use and ahead of our full review, the Pixel 4 XL is the most-convenient flagship smartphone that you probably overlooked.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Is-the-Pixel-4-XL-an-unfairly-overlooked-flagship.459244.0.html

anon

My Pixel XL got its last update in October, around when I decided to get a new phone, either a Pixel 4 XL or an ROG Phone II.

I went with Asus because the screen is 120Hz (vs 90 with controversy) and the battery is 6000mAh. The air triggers, high performance, 512GB storage, headphone jack, and gaming accessories were a bonus.

I missed the Pixel XL's rear fingerprint scanner and went from Android 10 to 9 (ROG phone II just got the 10 update last week) and the camera is really lacking--slow and doesn't focus well.

The extra large battery was very relieving to have while travelling, and I have completely stopped the overnight charging ritual I had on the pixel XL.

Unfortunately, I am becoming more and more concerned about privacy/freedom, so after this phone I hope something like the Librem phone becomes good enough for daily use.

drspychology

Am I taking crazy pills? You guys wrote an article about the Pixel 4 XL feeling like an elaborate joke with how bad it is, and now it's overlooked?

Let me wholeheartedly disagree with this article (and agree with the first article). The Pixel 4 XL fails on so many levels when comparing it to similarly priced phones. Just read your own article again, where it was worded fantastically why it is so bad.

John B

Did you fail to install the latest updates before writing this review? Pause/play support was already added to the gesture supported functions. The air gestures even work while using Android Auto if the phone is in a place where you can wave over it.

Ishawn

I have the pixel 4 and find it to be a great device for my needs. Ppl are calling it trash must haven't used the device. No ultra wide doesn't bother me nor the battery size. I think you pretty much summed up the experience for simple ppl like me. Ppl over hype that ultra wide lens thing when really it's not that serious. Ultra wide on phones nowadays is trash anyway so hey, google with have one eventually and it will be the best like it's main cameras are. The haptic feedback is something you fail to mention which seems to be the best in the industry next to iPhone 11. This phone have so many good spots that it's definitely overlooked by not having an ultra wide lens and small battery. Who cares about the top bezel especially if it has the tech for it unlike many other competitors. Without the tech in the top bezel I'm sure it will be almost bezeless as well. Overrall the phone provides a good feel in the hand and doesn't feel like an appliance like Samsung, OnePlus and even iPhone. The radar was a stroke of genius to me especially for when reaching for the phone to quite it down or upon getting the face ID ready to unlock. For me it's definitely a good phone. This is coming from someone who fix's phones and computers for a living and have had many phones including the iPhone 11. I really don't care about any comments after this lol. Ppl should have their own mindset instead of always watching tech videos and allowing them to make a decision for you.

Joe Willis

Bought the galaxy S20+ and went back to the pixel 4xL. It just works and the clean stock experience is much better in my opinion.

Josh

I've owned the  Pixel 2 XL, and now a 4XL. Let me see, I've never had any batteries on my two Pixels were/are reasonable, the cameras are great, the software is amazing, the timely updates make up for the small issues most of which are fixed via updates, did I mention timely. Being a former iphone fan timely updates are important and with the Pixel you get the same timely updates. When I gave Samsung a try you couldn't get any updates  in 6 months maybe, oh yeah my Note 7 fiasco, sorry guys you are HUGE whiners!!

The Pixel 4 XL is an excellent device. Definitely built for the user experience and not for the tech snobs and spec chasers.

For anyone that values excellent cameras, reliable performance, and fantastic software, it's one of the best gadgets you can buy this year

Alex Alderson

Quote from: John B on March 29, 2020, 19:34:32
Did you fail to install the latest updates before writing this review? Pause/play support was already added to the gesture supported functions. The air gestures even work while using Android Auto if the phone is in a place where you can wave over it.

You know what, I did. However, I had no idea that Google had enabled it as I set up Motion Sense beforehand.

Thanks for the tip though!

Treksf6

I have the 4xl. It's a wonderful phone. I live it. No other phone I would rather have. Ridiculous how it's been beaten up by various media. Makes no sense.

Dan6

Pixel 4 XL is not a bad phone, it just can't justify the price google asks for it. Previous year Pixel is not a competitor to an iPhone, it's overpriced (yes, I'm talking about google product, not apple!) with some useless gimick features. If you bought it with huge discount - that's smart good buy, but if you bought it for full price or preordered it - well, you are just a google funboy.

Nonny

What I don't understand is that the Pixel 4 XL isn't a bad phone at all

...And yet Google looks like it's NOT making a Pixel 4a XL (which is I'd definitely be interested in).

It's like they just can't make good decisions with the hardware right now.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview