News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP EliteBook x360 1030 G4: When security hampers productivity

Started by Redaktion, March 27, 2020, 14:01:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Old LCD screens were almost impossible read when looking at them from the side. After having labored hard at removing this flaw from displays, it has now returned in the shape of a security feature.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-EliteBook-x360-1030-G4-When-security-hampers-productivity.458989.0.html

necovek

While there was a strong push for IPS LCD screens, there were high quality TFT screens: my 2009 Sony Vaio VGN-Z had one (and even used LED backlighting).

I was never bothered by the colour reproduction or off-axis viewing for regular work, but it did have the privacy effect they are trying to replicate today.

FWIW, I never really understood the IPS and viewing angle obsession for work screens (laptops/desktops), but I guess decent TFT screens with at least 10 degree angle stability were hard or expensive to procure.

LL

It is very important. Any art work, you want to show your stuff to co workers or even a at home a bunch of friends viewing a  movie it is quite important the viewing angle.

_MT_

Quote from: necovek on March 27, 2020, 18:50:59
While there was a strong push for IPS LCD screens, there were high quality TFT screens: my 2009 Sony Vaio VGN-Z had one (and even used LED backlighting).

I was never bothered by the colour reproduction or off-axis viewing for regular work, but it did have the privacy effect they are trying to replicate today.

FWIW, I never really understood the IPS and viewing angle obsession for work screens (laptops/desktops), but I guess decent TFT screens with at least 10 degree angle stability were hard or expensive to procure.
IPS displays are TFT. AMOLED displays are TFT as well. TFT is a technology for manufacturing transistors (the switching elements in a display). Using vapour to deposit layers of materials on a substrate (like glass in the case of displays). Perhaps you mean TN displays.

No, a TN display is nowhere near private enough. Your neighbour in an aeroplane, for example, can easily see what you're working on. The angles are not that bad (certainly on anything even remotely close to being called a good display) and wonky colours don't provide privacy unless it's colour that you're trying to keep private. Text is typically easily readable. I think they used to specify something like 160° horizontal viewing angle. Like 15 years ago.

13BravoGuy

You know, the brightness of this feature can be turned up... Also it was designed to be turned on and off based on the need for privacy in the current situation. If you don't like it, just turn it off - or better yet - buy one of those frustrating removable plastic filters. Obviously superior technology, those plastic things are.

Can you find a more legitimate reason to bash the brand?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview