News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Apple A12Z Bionic SoC is just a renamed A12X with an enabled GPU core

Started by Redaktion, March 26, 2020, 11:14:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We get to learn that the Apple A12X Bionic has eight physical GPU cores, but one of those cores is disabled. The disabled core is enabled in the new A12Z Bionic that powers the 2020 iPad Pro. While there could be several reasons for this decision, the most convincing explanation is that it would save Apple from having to develop a new A13X chip while a more powerful A14X is already in the pipeline for a late 2020 release.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Apple-A12Z-Bionic-SoC-is-just-a-renamed-A12X-with-an-enabled-GPU-core.458883.0.html

tipoo

This is probably going to generate a lot of hot takes. It's a super common practice, chip binning, check out the protectiveearth take on it

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: tipoo on March 27, 2020, 00:06:39
This is probably going to generate a lot of hot takes. It's a super common practice, chip binning, check out the protectiveearth take on it
Sure is. I also mention the example of the TU102 GPU as well. In fact, the Core i7s that dont make the cut are rebranded as Core i3 and Core i5.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview