News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Playstation 5’s “no loading” SSD is a gimmick: here’s why

Started by Redaktion, March 21, 2020, 10:41:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

During Sony's announcement of the PlayStation 5's key specifications, the console maker lavished a lot of attention on the PS5's new SSD. While the 5.5 GB/s storage solution is blazing fast, it is not a cure-all for other, fundamental compromises in the PlayStation 5's architecture relative to the Series X.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Playstation-5-s-no-loading-SSD-is-a-gimmick-here-s-why.458660.0.html

fdsofldmos

What is the point of this article? Being a hater?
Xbox "Quick resume" feature is 5 seconds quick for old games. I wouldn't call that quick.
Also, regarding graphics, console users generally don't give a damn about graphics, so the fact that PS5 had 10TF instead of 12, has almost no importance.

Blightor

Pretty much this.

The PS4 was 40% better GPU throughput than the XBOX One, but that wasn't the reason people bought it in droves.  It was because it was cheaper AND it wasn't bullshitting you about DRM.

This time around XBOX has a 20% GPU throughput, but do any of us think they it will outsell the PS5?  Nope - No one is getting rid of thier current gen collection for a 20% boost in GPU throughput, and sony has more than enough special sauce to make PS5 owners believe in it being special.

bambo

The author completely ignores the fact that the whole I/O pipeline works differently than on PC.

On PC you have to get data from SSD to RAM and then put some of the chunks into VRAM. On PS5 it's all unified and connected directly with a special chip designed for this task. Trying to predict how well this will work is not really possible without testing. This is not PC, despite many similarities.

You don't know me

Alireza Baensaf

Finally
Aside from 20% better hardware xbox series x has better software
Sony couldnt demonstrate anything regarding raytracing or variable shade rendering...

Panino

What the hell... what's the point of this article? Yes, the fast SDD isn't "magical", the way it can be used is what's magical.
I started with "what the hell" because while the author reminds that Microsoft's slower SDD will use things like "Quick Resume" and "Velocity Architecture" do improve games, he completely ignores the fact that Sony will do the same.
Also, the compression that Sony will use is a bit better and the decompressor is more than 3 times faster.

I didn't paid attention to who is writing these next gen opinions. Is different people, that's why the opinions are so contradictory?

Hessler

Wow... I mean wow... This article is utter nonsense!
The author has not grasped the tech talk from Sony at all.
No real understanding of the technical aspects from a console perspective or a PC perspective.
Unless it is a deliberate attempt to rubbish the PS5. A machine that clearly has some advantages over the Xbox Series X now.
But so what? The Series X has various plus points over PS5 so... just deal with it fanboys and stop talking garbage.

Andrew Riddle

Stick to notebooks, you are talking pure nonsense.
Have you ever developed anything for a console? I doubt it.
Do PCs and consoles work in the same way, no

Don't offer up your own opinion as fact.

mauerque

Not sure I follow some of the critiques in the comments. My guess is most people would take an improvement in CPU/GPU performance over an improvement in nvme performance? While not scientific, (and obviously not using quick resume), Linus Tech Tips has a video showing that most people struggle to tell a difference between the load times on a SATA III SSD and a gen 4 pcie nvme. Like I said, maybe with quick resume and such, differences in nvme speed will matter, but I have my doubts.

Panino

@mauerque
You really "don't follow"?
The article says that doesn't matter if the PS5's SSD is faster because Microsoft will use their slower SSD in a non traditional and more efficient way, but this is wrong because Sony is doing the exact same thing with their software.

@Hessler
People like you are the worst. Just read the other articles. On one people are accusing the author of being a Xbox fanboy, in the next he is being accused of being a Playstation fanboy. If the article is neutral he is accused of being both.
It's ridiculous.

S.Yu

Quote from: Panino on March 21, 2020, 14:50:56
What the hell... what's the point of this article? Yes, the fast SDD isn't "magical", the way it can be used is what's magical.
I started with "what the hell" because while the author reminds that Microsoft's slower SDD will use things like "Quick Resume" and "Velocity Architecture" do improve games, he completely ignores the fact that Sony will do the same.
Also, the compression that Sony will use is a bit better and the decompressor is more than 3 times faster.

I didn't paid attention to who is writing these next gen opinions. Is different people, that's why the opinions are so contradictory?
Certainly do pay attention to the authors, the opinion pieces are the authors' personal opinions and I'm aware of the situation that not all the authors keep track of everything that appears on the site. :)

Sussa

Lol, the Ponies have lost their minds. The author is clearly more knowledgeable than any of you cucks, and you're all foaming at the mouth as if he really needs YOU to explain to him was a SSD is, or what Sony's marketing team fabricated especially for all you feeble-minded, gullible sheep. Grow the f*** up, you sad losers. The PS5 is a joke next to the Series X, even if it does sell better, something that is CLEARLY very important to you, for some reason. Buy your weak, pathetic, overheating, console and enjoy this next gen with no BC. Have fun paying for "remastered" games. Have fun watching your console catching fire when it fails to cool the ludicrously overclocked GPU.

Ron Jon

The series X Beast absolutely destroys POS5. All games will run and look better on X Beast. Ponies on suicide watch.

JoJo rabbit

Im missing the part to where it's explained why the SSD is a "gimmick" on the PS5?  Is it only a gimmick on PS5 and not Xbox, and if so, again why? A gimmick is something that doesn't add any real useful function or have much purpose.  Please someone fill me in.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview