News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Laptop Review: Thin design beats upgradability

Started by Redaktion, March 05, 2020, 10:26:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo outfits its cheaper ThinkPad E series with a newer, thinner chassis that uses more aluminum. That seems like an improvement, but in reality it also means the loss of several features. Apart from that, the Lenovo ThinkPad E14 is a lot like its predecessor Lenovo ThinkPad E490.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E14-Laptop-Review-Thin-design-beats-upgradability.455279.0.html

Puppy

Lenovo Crappy Screen (tm) in a ~900 Euro laptop trend continues in 2020  :-\

william blake

william blake

Quote from: Puppy on March 05, 2020, 12:01:28
Lenovo Crappy Screen (tm) in a ~900 Euro laptop trend continues in 2020  :-\
it's very hard to find whos screens are not crappy
we can start from the beginning, proportions
there were two good options, 16:9 lighter and smaller or 16:10 bigger but better for buisiness(16:9 is for movies, ok?) they took 16:9 screen and paired it with 16:10 case. it does not make any sense. not smaller, not better for buisiness, but look cheap and stupid. question. why?

Puppy

Quote from: william blake link=topic=107817.msg382055#msg382055 it's very hard to find whos screens are not crappy
/quote]My 790 Euro MateBook 13 has very nice 3:2 2K screen with 100% sRGB coverage and 1000+:1 contrast ratio. Huawei can, Lenovo can not.

70UNIKITTY

the sRGB colour coverage makes it worse than the TN panel (N156HGE-EAL) found on the GL62M, which covers 100%sRGB!!!!!!

What's the fucking point of IPS if you cannot have good colour gamut???

william blake

70UNIKITTY

If a panel doesn't even cover 90% of sRGB, then colours will look like it's been thrown in a dump truck, where calibration will not save the colours.

_MT_

Quote from: william blake on March 05, 2020, 14:52:27
there were two good options, 16:9 lighter and smaller or 16:10 bigger but better for buisiness(16:9 is for movies, ok?) they took 16:9 screen and paired it with 16:10 case. it does not make any sense. not smaller, not better for buisiness, but look cheap and stupid. question. why?
Except that movies are not 16:9. Even in the TV where I live. The broadcast itself might be 16:9, but the movie often isn't. I don't know what they're using, but it's definitely wider. In my opinion, the 16:9 was never a good option. Not for a monitor.

I imagine they need the space for the keyboard/ touchpad/ buttons. Which makes it really silly. Lenovo probably could put a 8:5 screen in there without making the laptop any bigger.

Just an Anonymous member

Dear readers,

I had the privilege of buying an E490 after saving up for a long long time. Coming from an MBP13 2010 era.

I got the following configuration: (
Core-i5  8265u 1.6Ghz)
8GB Ram (one Dimm slot occupied out of two) Max 64 GB.
1 TB HDD (M.2mvme can be added alongside the HDD as well/).
Got the Radeon RX550X 2-GB RAM as standard!
Positives:
I like the Radeon RX 550 X with 2GB Ram was a big plus for me. I can play NFS Most wanted 2012 n Hot Pursuit on the medium setting, it studders sometimes, I blame the HDD maybe with an m.2mvme with the problem will get resolved.
I spilled like a cup of water on it by accident (Incident log: After freezing for roughly 5 seconds, I removed it from the charger and other wires. forced shut it off and held it upside down! I tried drying it with a cloth and napkins and a lot of massaging of the keyboard for any leftover droplets). After  2 hours I turned it on and till now no glitches!! On my MBP 13 the same thing happened and I ended up  350 euros lighter in my pocket! I guess this is one of the main reasons I went after this Lenovo lineup.
I got a ton of more ports compared to the MBP lineup, which I find useful.
Negatives:
Battery life 4-6 hours depending on the usage.
The screen and speakers are horrendous compared to my 10-year-old system!.
There is a small creaking noise from the hinge, which is just cost-cutting in my eyes.
It gets insanely hot in on the top right corner when playing games.

Verdict:
I think the E and L lineup is aimed at the developed countries with a different sort of income and buyer in mind, based on the skimped options like no backlit keyboard as an option, no4G sim slot, no touch screen option, no OS for the middleman to save on additional $$$, which makes it sad!  I wouldn't buy the newer model E14 model if I could find the E490  with the Radeon Graphics but there are much better chouses if you look hard enough!.

mytag

Currently I'm looking for mid-range laptop and I was curious to see the new gen of Lenovo E series, unfortunately this single channel RAM definitely is not in my wish list of extras. I'm not gamer and mostly will use the laptop for browsing, movies and light weight tasks, therefore I want to understand how this single channel will affect my daily work. I have never had a single channel machine (even my first PC was dual channel) and I'm not sure if E14 it is worth it.
Want to read more opinions and advise  - E14 -  Core i5-10210U but single channel 16GB  VS E490 - Core i5-8265U  and dual channel 2x8GB.

Benjamin Herzig

@mytag,
Single channel RAM should have pretty much zero impact on your use case. It mostly only matter for GPU performance.

Wek

Well, this Lenovo saving on lcds is a crazy BS. I do not get it how in 2020 they carry on with 250 nits and crappy colors to save 20$. My daily driver is 2013 Thinkpad S440 with upgraded ChiMei CMN14D2 / N140HCE-EN1 REV.C2 panel. It has outstanding 99% sRGB coverage.

Shlomi

Hi, :)
What Power plan you used when checking battery life ? Max Performance  or balanced mode ?

Thanks.

Lenovo fan?

Lenovo designers,

1. put the touchpad buttons down not up!
2. use displays with a good gamut and no flickering (it doesn't mean 100Hz or 500 Hz, but 0 Hz)

then maybe we will buy it.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview