News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

A German company launches the "world's first" carbon-fiber phone

Started by Redaktion, March 01, 2020, 22:09:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Carbon Mobiles makes what it might sound like on the tin: a phone made of carbon fiber rather than a typical metal frame and glass rear panel. This build makes this device (the 1 Mark II) exceptionally light and thin. It has a MediaTek Helio P90 SoC, but not the price you might expect for that spec.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/A-German-company-launches-the-world-s-first-carbon-fiber-phone.455167.0.html

Jason Y.

Cool Device!!

By the way, why does the article say the detailed specs are not known? There is a very detailed table on the company's website incl. display resolution and RAM..

A little more research might have helped before writing this article. ;)

I love the concept, obviously as a new player in the industry things can't be as streamlined and perfect as with established players that have 100s of millions in resources at their disposal. Every company including Apple and Co. had their issues when they started off (and still have). I think it's due time for new exciting alternatives to the one fits all concept of the industry. All premium smartphones have specs that are way higher than 99% of people could ever need, so why keep comparing specs all the time. What is needed are new exciting concepts in form factor and design, like the foldables or like this Carbon 1!

Valantar

Quote from: Jason Y. on March 02, 2020, 04:35:22
Cool Device!!

By the way, why does the article say the detailed specs are not known? There is a very detailed table on the company's website incl. display resolution and RAM..

A little more research might have helped before writing this article. ;)

I love the concept, obviously as a new player in the industry things can't be as streamlined and perfect as with established players that have 100s of millions in resources at their disposal. Every company including Apple and Co. had their issues when they started off (and still have). I think it's due time for new exciting alternatives to the one fits all concept of the industry. All premium smartphones have specs that are way higher than 99% of people could ever need, so why keep comparing specs all the time. What is needed are new exciting concepts in form factor and design, like the foldables or like this Carbon 1!
Where are you finding the specs? The "full specs" link just leads me to a wireframe drawing of the phone with the dimensions and weight, and nothing more (except a large white expanse of blank page). Tested in Firefox mobile, Firefox and Chrome desktop, same results all around.

All this aside, I'm highly skeptical of any smartphone startup. Do they have the resources to provide software updates for 3+ years? Do they have the resources to provide proper warranty services? If not, the experience for users will undoubtedly be poor.

As for moving away from unrecyclable plastics - that's great! I just don't see how moving into unrecyclable polymer composites is any different from this whatsoever. It might be that the carbon can be reclaimed, but I have a hard time believing this material to be any more recyclable than other polymer-hardened fiber composites - which are typically entirely unrecyclable. If this is somehow different, they really ought to describe and explain how.

JanuszJanusz

The page has a bug and both text and background are white. Just select the text (ie. press ctrl + A) when on www.carbonmobile.com/Carbon1Specifications

Best

Valantar

Quote from: JanuszJanusz on March 02, 2020, 10:06:18
The page has a bug and both text and background are white. Just select the text (ie. press ctrl + A) when on www.carbonmobile.com/Carbon1Specifications

Best
Ah, I see it now. Though given the formatting errors and huge amount of spelling errors, I kind of doubt the text being invisible is a "bug". Still completely unreasonable to expect anyone to try this to find the specs though.

And that battery is tiny :(

S.Yu

It should be 50% thicker, honestly. The battery capacity possible at this thickness doesn't inspire confidence.
I'm not under the impression that carbon fiber is thin either, it's light, yes, but not thin(or else it'll warp, like on my old VAIO Z). I have a housing for my SSD that's carbon fiber and the plates are over 1mm thick on each side. Rigid and light, certainly, but not thin.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview