News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Odyssey: A powerful Raspberry Pi alternative that supports Windows 10, 4K and is Arduino compatible

Started by Redaktion, February 27, 2020, 18:47:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Odyssey X86 is a new single-board computer (SBC) that supports Windows 10 and is compatible with Grove. The SBC even accepts M.2 drives.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Odyssey-A-powerful-Raspberry-Pi-alternative-that-supports-Windows-10-4K-and-is-Arduino-compatible.454800.0.html

TwoHundo

Robert

Not really a competitor at that price.  I just picked up a brand new NUC off Amazon for less and got a quad core Pentium. 

Gary

The point of the RPI was to be affordable for low income households, and to allow younger people to start learning programming and coding languages with an RPI which would help them get better jobs and out of the low income brackets in the future.

This is not a competitor at all.

RyanT

Wow....this is NOT a Raspberry PI alternative at all.  Clearly the Author has no clue about the Raspberry PI.  At this price point, you might as well just buy a normal motherboard and build your own PC. 

Now if you dropped the price from almost $200, down to say, $50....then I would say it's an alternative.

If I was going to drop $188 down on something, I would rather just start slowly building my own PC.  At that point I can adjust how much RAM I want, what video output I want, what Hard Drives I want....etc.

The article really missed it's mark.....by thousands of miles.

Rob11111

BarneyB

8GB of RAM!  This is obviously designed for running Microsoft Windows and Raspbian with the desktop runs in 1GB on a little $35 Raspberry Pi.  So pretty much someone is attempting to be relevant when everyone else is running Linux in embedded bots.

And because world+dog is running bots on Linux on Raspberry Pi's, the marketing people needed to throw in that "comparable to Raspberry Pi" bit to make the news feeds.

Nice try but the average Linux/rPi devs are not as dumb as these marketing people think.  Pitch it to the PC Mag Windows crowd and leave the rPi parts out.

Bort Hodl

Like everybody else, I have no idea why this was compared to a Ras Pi.  It seems like a nice enough little PC board.  Yay.  But nobody needs Win 10 and nvme in the same breath as Arduino and embedded projects.  Seems odd to give the reader a wildly misplaced framing, just to disappoint expectations.

tom eversole

It's just a motherboard for that price. Not a very powerful motherboard but a motherboard just the same. Why compare it to a raspberry pi?

Marco Tulio Castro

A poor motherboard not comparable to a Raspberry Pi. Why I need such device? To pay licenses to Microsoft? The robotics people don't need to replace the freedom.
Thanks but, I will not need it.

LeoGreat

Really! $200? Why should someone buy this instead of r pi which is $50? I would buy much powerful motherboard for this price

Carles Mateu

This is not a board on the same league as that of a RaspberryPI. I've used similar boards (Udoo x86, Udoo Bolt, Latte Panda, and 1 Atomic PI), for projects where I needed real horse power, etc.

This kind of projects, sometimes, benefit from having Arduino/RPi pinout (or any pinout at all, vs PCs without easy hardware connections). And it's price is right for that market (Udoo runs at 178€).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview