News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

PS5 in trouble? 12 teraflops of GPU power confirmed for the Xbox Series X

Started by Redaktion, February 25, 2020, 03:25:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Microsoft has confirmed some of the specifications for the upcoming Xbox Series X in a news post by Phil Spencer, the Head of Xbox. Arguably one of the standout revelations is the 12 teraflops of GPU performance the console will have to play with, while the article reconfirms that the AMD Zen 2 and RDNA 2 microarchitectures are being utilized.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/PS5-in-trouble-12-teraflops-of-GPU-power-confirmed-for-the-Xbox-Series-X.454610.0.html

TruthIsThere

Uh-huh! What was that Jensen had said about that a GeForce RTX gaming notebook will be the ultimate "gaming console" compared to consoles?

Idiot!

I bet Jensen is in a private place right now after this news and is wondering, "how am i going to convince these idiots now to purchase a $1500 - $20, 000 notebook when the XBSX competes with my desktop 2080 Super and 2080ti GPUs for a fraction less?"

He better be focus on trying to get 8K@60P out of the next-gen 3000 series rather than just a 30-40ish% speed bump.

Be afraid, Jensen. Very afraid.

Again. PC gaming has shifted, folks!

Janiis

Alex March

I'd be curious to know what those 12 teraflops mean when compared to a desktop graphics card. What does that mean in terms of core and memory speed and VRAM? How would this stack up next to a RTX 2080?

Panrt

PlayStation 5
12,6 TFLOPS, RDNA 1.5
Processor: AMD Zen 2 with 3,6 GHz, 8 core
RAM: 4 GB DDR4 + 16 GB GDDR6 s 575 GB/s
SSD: 500 GB With speed 5,5 GB/s
Speciality: Ray tracing core and 3D song. NEW Xbox 11.8 TFLOPS.

Superguy

As mentioned in the article, if backward compatibility is an important feature, it's going to be harder sell to make people want to switch over to other platform and chuck their investment.  Those that have plenty of PS4 games aren't necessarily going to want to chuck that investment, especially if there's some upscaling and improvement to make the games look better.  Ditto for the Xbox.

If the above is indeed the case, Sony doesn't have anything to worry about.  PS4 platform outsold Xbox by a margin of about 2:1, despite PS4 being the weaker hardware platform. The same can be true for the PS5/Xbox X. PS5 only needs to sell more than Xbox X for Sony to consider it a success - not necessarily have the superior hardware platform. 

By the time 8K becomes standard, we'll have new consoles that can handle that better than the present ones anyway, so no real worries there.  Both current consoles are still quite capable.

In the end, the new ones will be competitive, and each will have their advantages and disadvantages.  It'll be a great time no matter which you buy.

Anonym

Quote from: Superguy on February 25, 2020, 17:06:06
As mentioned in the article, if backward compatibility is an important feature, it's going to be harder sell to make people want to switch over to other platform and chuck their investment.  Those that have plenty of PS4 games aren't necessarily going to want to chuck that investment, especially if there's some upscaling and improvement to make the games look better.  Ditto for the Xbox.

If the above is indeed the case, Sony doesn't have anything to worry about.  PS4 platform outsold Xbox by a margin of about 2:1, despite PS4 being the weaker hardware platform. The same can be true for the PS5/Xbox X. PS5 only needs to sell more than Xbox X for Sony to consider it a success - not necessarily have the superior hardware platform. 

By the time 8K becomes standard, we'll have new consoles that can handle that better than the present ones anyway, so no real worries there.  Both current consoles are still quite capable.

In the end, the new ones will be competitive, and each will have their advantages and disadvantages.  It'll be a great time no matter which you buy.

Mike212

Anyone who wnats to switch from Playstation to Xbox Series X  or vise versa, and wants to continue to play their collaboration of games that they've built over the years can just keep the old console to continue being able to play those games. It's an easy solution. That's what I will be doing as I switch back over to Xbox.

ProDigit

My GPU server runs at 90tflops. 12 tflops is like a 2070 Super.
All gaming consoles are already outdated before they ever got released.
I seriously doubt manufacturers are going to be able to offer better games on them, than on PC.
They're going to sell very few consoles, and the consoles will be discontinued before anyone ever can buy more than a handful of games on them.
Not worth investing in. What Nintendo, MS, Sony should bring out is a console with 4x the graphics horsepower (8k) to be competitive.
Sadly, by the time they do, PC gamers will have even higher gear available (think pcie 4.0 GPUs that are fast like RTX Titans).

Superguy

Mike212: Anyone who wnats to switch from Playstation to Xbox Series X  or vise versa, and wants to continue to play their collaboration of games that they've built over the years can just keep the old console to continue being able to play those games. It's an easy solution. That's what I will be doing as I switch back over to Xbox.

They could, but it's attractive that you can consolidate.  I still have my old PS3 with my PS4 as they're not compatible, but if I could just replace the PS4 with a PS5, and gain some further enhancements (a la PS4 Pro), it makes sense.

Plus you can then either sell or trade-in the PS4, or give it to a friend/family member.

True, it won't be THE determining factor, but it's certainly an attractive factor, and one that Xbox has had for quite a while.

Superguy

Quote from: ProDigit on February 26, 2020, 13:01:29
My GPU server runs at 90tflops. 12 tflops is like a 2070 Super.

And how many people have setups like that, let alone even have one high end card like that, with a high end PC good enough to play everything with the eye candy turned up?

And you're probably using that server from cryptomining, not gaming, so not really the same thing.

But after reading your whole post, I think you're full of it.  I don't believe you have a server with that, or that you would have the knowledge to build one like that.

QuoteAll gaming consoles are already outdated before they ever got released.

That's because they're designed with the best at a specific moment in time. Tech doesn't stand still, but the devs also have a consistent platform to optimize the game to look as good as they possibly can.  Plus there will be driver upgrades, firmware upgrades, etc, that will help as time goes along.

There will likely be a "pro" refresh halfway thru that'll improve things too.

I may have bought my PS4 when it first came out years ago, but it's not like I've been wanting for graphics or anything in game play.

QuoteI seriously doubt manufacturers are going to be able to offer better games on them, than on PC.[/quote[

You must be a troll. Most AAA games are available on all 3 major platforms (PS4, Xbox, PC).  In many cases, the PC version comes later. In a lot of cases, those games play better on the consoles than the PC as they don't get the resource the consoles did.

Some games play better on PC - FPS IMO do.

Bottom line is the devs are going to offer the games where it'll make them the most money.

QuoteThey're going to sell very few consoles, and the consoles will be discontinued before anyone ever can buy more than a handful of games on them.

You're clueless. Consoles outsell gaming PCs by far.

Devs wouldn't even bother developing for a console if it wasn't going to sell.

QuoteNot worth investing in. What Nintendo, MS, Sony should bring out is a console with 4x the graphics horsepower (8k) to be competitive.
Sadly, by the time they do, PC gamers will have even higher gear available (think pcie 4.0 GPUs that are fast like RTX Titans).

Your ignorance shows.

First off, 8K TVs barely exist, and few have them.  Developing at that level would be utterly pointless as it's not worth the money for them.

NO ONE - AMD or Nvidia - has a chip capable of pushing 8k right now, and can barely push 4k at consistently playable rates - and not with all the eye candy turned up.

Titans are not meant for gaming.  They're more for GPU apps, cryptomining, and rendering.

PCIe 4.0 means nothing - PCIe 5.0 will supplant it quickly, but it has little to with performance.  Even the current top line cards from AMD and Nvidia can't utilize all a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot can offer.

And as I said, if things do improve where more performance is called for, Xbox and PS5 will see a refresh with better specs.

If the gaming industry listened to you, they'd be broke within a year. It's not about what's "the best", it's about what will sell the most.  A great game that requires the insane amount of hardware you suggest wouldn't sell much as the vast majority of people wouldn't have hardware and couldn't afford it.  The vast majority of gamers have something in the middle.

And like you said, tech becomes obsolete quick. Today's high end is tomorrow's midrange. It's often cheaper and better to regularly buy a midrange than buy a high end and keep it longer.

Who's going to pay $2500 for a console - the price of 1 Titan RTX?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview