News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2: A multimedia laptop that may not have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU after all

Started by Redaktion, February 18, 2020, 18:12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 suffers from an identity crisis. Is it an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650-powered multimedia laptop, or one that is held back by the lesser GTX 1650 Max-Q variant? Well, it seems that Lenovo does not know, either. Most signs point to the laptop having a Max-Q GPU, but it is not that straightforward.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-Gen-2-A-multimedia-laptop-that-may-not-have-an-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-GPU-after-all.454190.0.html

Andrew

If you want a good multimedia experience you should avoid the Lenovo X1 Extreme gen 2, P1 gen 2 etc with 4k OLED touch option. Lenovo has put a touchlayer on top of the OLED that screw up picture quality big time making a 4k UHD screen look like grainy interlaced 1080p at best.

More info can be found on the Lenovo forum. Search for "Small dots on OLED screen"

Jesse

Why the heck are people still making touch screen laptops?   Nobody used the touch function.   The glossy screens are also extremely annoying.   Stop it already!

flauschie123

Speak for yourself - I don't want a matte screen but a glossy screen with anti-glare coating a la Macbook.

Jtl

Well, I have to disagree.
The oled screen is beautiful and personally I don't have dots or other issues with the screen.
I use the touch screen to learn to draw with stylus. It is amazing experience, so let the user decide, by having an option, when they configure the laptop.

Spunjji

My take on this whole thing:

Nvidia really, REALLY need to start stipulating minimum performance and cooling specifications before they allow partners to advertise products using the model names they (Nvidia) specify.

Max-Q sounded like a good idea to begin with, but it's ended up being a grotesque swamp of overpriced products with woolly specifications and mediocre performance that's infecting their entire product line.

Andrew

Quote from: Jtl on February 19, 2020, 18:28:43
The oled screen is beautiful and personally I don't have dots or other issues with the screen.
I use the touch screen to learn to draw with stylus. It is amazing experience, so let the user decide, by having an option, when they configure the laptop.

No doubt the Oled screen behind the touch layer is awesome. Have you compared the Lenovo laptop with a Dell XPS 15 OLED that is non touch? (same OLED panel)

The difference is very visible. Lenovo have swapped the screen and exchange have the same issue with dot mesh matrix makng it grainy to the eye. It has been written on the net that other laptops like HP spectre with OLED and touch have the same issue so maybe an issue you have to live with if you want touch and OLED for now.

Jtl

Quote from: Andrew on February 19, 2020, 22:25:52
Quote from: Jtl on February 19, 2020, 18:28:43

No doubt the Oled screen behind the touch layer is awesome. Have you compared the Lenovo laptop with a Dell XPS 15 OLED that is non touch? (same OLED panel)
I haven't compared with the Dell model, however the X1 Extreme with OLED is advertised as having anti-reflection coating!
So, the screen is less-reflective, compared to all the glossy laptops out there and I always avoided all reflective screens as plague!
So, for me anti-reflection coating is a wanted feature, not an issue that helps a lot when you working in bright environment.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview