News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Clevo to release monster 17-inch X170 gaming laptops powered by Intel's Comet Lake-S 10-core desktop-grade CPUs

Started by Redaktion, February 12, 2020, 16:37:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The internal slides leaked on the Chinese forum Saraba1st reveal impressive specs for the upcoming 17-inch X170 gaming laptops, including redesigned chassis with improved airflow, bigger speakers, slim-bezel displays, RGB lighting, upgraded cooling systems that support the latest 10-core-20-thread desktop-grade Comet Lake-S CPUs, plus USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 support.  

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Clevo-to-release-monster-17-inch-X170-gaming-laptops-powered-by-Intel-s-Comet-Lake-S-10-core-desktop-grade-CPUs.453755.0.html

Spunjji

This is all very nice, but it's a damn shame they're sticking with Intel. This with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU would be an absolute beast (and probably run cooler / quieter).

xpclient

If only Clevo offered cheap 3 year warranty and international warranty, I would have got one instead of Lenovo Legion.

reas0n

Quote from: Spunjji on February 12, 2020, 17:13:48
This is all very nice, but it's a damn shame they're sticking with Intel. This with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU would be an absolute beast (and probably run cooler / quieter).

3000 desktop or 4000 laptop :P

william blake

my first two questions, very simple and easy:
-are you sure that 10 cores are better for gaming than 8?
-where are bigger quieter low rpm coolers, i see the same 6k rpm leaf blowers?

Jamie

Yay... More overpriced clevo rubbish with terrible driver support and thermal throttling.

I've owned 3 Clevo gaming laptops now and all 3 hit thermal throttling with their GPUs.

Regardless of the power, my partner's desktop GTX 1650 outperforms my GTX 1070 AND my RTX 2060 specifically down to thermal throttling problems.

Total chinese junk.

XMG Community

Quote from: Jamie on February 12, 2020, 23:54:58I've owned 3 Clevo gaming laptops now and all 3 hit thermal throttling with their GPUs.

Regardless of the power, my partner's desktop GTX 1650 outperforms my GTX 1070 AND my RTX 2060 specifically down to thermal throttling problems.

Some throttling is normal - that's the idea of GPU Temp Targets. You reach them and then gently slow down.

NVIDIA's maximum allowed GPU Temp Target is 87°C. This value is usually used in the Clevo VBIOS.

If I look at the Furmark+Prime test results from 3 randomly selected Clevo models, I have:

PB71EF with RTX 2070: 84°C
P970EN with RTX 2080 Max-Q: 73°C

Those two are well below NVIDIA's Temp Target even after 30min of Furmark+Prime.

The only outlier:

P775TM with i9-9900K and GTX 1080: 90°C

But that's an extreme case with the hottest Desktop CPU that we were able to find.

At any rate, the underlying issue is this: Intel and NVIDIA struggled to squeeze more performance out of every subsequent "refresh" generation. Especially Intel hasn't been able to improve the CPU efficiency for a while now (still being stuck at 14nm+++), so they just raised and raised the thermal consumption. Your typical i7-9750H which is rated for 45W TDP actually consumes up to 90W in order to reach the advertised Turbo-Boost speeds.

High CPU temperatures also affects the GPU temp, of course.
Hence you get thermal throttling on systems which wouldn't have throttled a few years earlier. All the while the market trend is pushing towards slimmer and slimmer chassis.

But maybe in your case something else is amiss.
Which Clevo systems do you own and where did you buy them? Maybe you have firmware issues or your thermal systems need a proper repaste.

Even if you didn't buy at XMG/SCHENKER, feel free to open a thread in English in our support forum to provide details.

Cheers,
Tom
Schenker Technologies GmbH
// Firmenaccount für PR & Communitypflege
Technical Support
Mo-Fr 8-18 | Sa 9-14 // Tel.: +49 341 246704-0

Comprodigy

Quote from: Jamie on February 12, 2020, 23:54:58
Yay... More overpriced clevo rubbish with terrible driver support and thermal throttling.

I've owned 3 Clevo gaming laptops now and all 3 hit thermal throttling with their GPUs.

Total chinese junk.

I have no idea what you're talking about with this throttling (their software sucks, but thats not drivers). I've had 3 Clevo laptops now, 1 8086k + 1080 (P775), 1 P970ED with the 9750 and 2060, and one with a 980m (don't remember the model), none of them throttled on the GPU side. If you're being beat by setups with that much weaker hardware, its a you issue, not a hardware issue.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview