News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

It's 2020 and laptops still have 1 MP cameras. What gives?

Started by Redaktion, February 09, 2020, 22:37:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We asked two major laptop makers and both arrived at similar conclusions. Though we understand the reasoning behind them, it's also a bummer that we likely won't see any laptops with the same high quality cameras as smartphones anytime soon.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/It-s-2020-and-laptops-still-have-1-MP-cameras-What-gives.453549.0.html

Hey, how about you ask them why their shiny €2k+ laptops have ludicrous 16:9 screens or $5 keyboards . The answer is always the same: laptop manufacturers somehow don't give a damn about users' needs.

If laptop makers will drop the integrated webcam they could change the fan bearings or heatsink alloy to better quality, and still have some extra pocket change for added profit.
Users won't notice the lack of webcam, notebookcheck will give better scores on emissions, laptop maker upper management will get fatter bonuses. It's a win-win-win situation.

S.Yu

Current smartphone are much thicker than laptop screens, but laptops still could do some catchup. Poor quality 720P is not really excusable except with the potential reason that most really don't care when using Skype, or don't use the webcam and tape it up like me.
Stills function is generally not needed but a 1/4" native 1080P is very reasonable to ask for.

opelit

The worst is when the 1mpix camera comes with 4 mic, 4 ''Dolby Digital'' speakers, ambient sensor, light sensor, IR camera, fingerprint reader and its all with beautiful aluminium case . AAAAAND inside you can find intel i7 which can boost to 54W (but its 15W, rly!) connected to 2 load fans by 1 thin heatpipe!

Name

Why can't they just get Omnivision sensors for webcams? They're pretty cheap, but offer excellent video and audio quality. That said, the last time I saw a laptop with a 1080p webcam was about 3 or 4 years ago I stumbled upon a Toshiba model that I can't even remember now. However, the webcam was not a distinguishing feature of that laptop. In fact, it was briefly mentioned on their website but that was about it.

william blake

not gonna lie, im glad to see some media guys finally rases obvious questions.

Greenlentil

It's definitely not the most important thing but it shouldn't be an excuse for 720p nose cams.

caqde

Maybe people would use them if they weren't so awful in quality. There is no comparison between a cellphones camera and the trash in notebooks. Even a cheap $50 cellphone has a better camera.

Timcooking

People got it all wrong, pixel count is not important, even they give you 12mp it will look like junk, what they need to do is increase the sensor size something like 1/2" keep it to 1mp/2mp to increase the pixel area size, this help dynamic range, and this 1mp/2mp will look much better than even the iphone 11

xpclient

"Customers just don't buy laptops for their webcams" IDIOTS. All the PC OEMs. Just idiots. They never GAVE people competitively decent webcams to make a statement like that.

I absolutely hate video calling on phones despite their amazing selfie camera because I've to hold the device or place and position it on a stand, the screen is tiny, the speakers are crappy, the microphone noise cancellation isn't that great.

I even tried hooking my phone via DisplayPort cable to a big monitor attached to big speakers but the lame video calling apps like WhatsApp don't support video calling in landscape orientation on external attached monitor and the call audio (not media audio) continues to come through the phone's crappy tiny speakers.

That is why I got fed up and purchased Facebook Portal (yes FB and privacy, yada yada, get over it), it's a decent device with outstanding cameras, superb noise-canceling beamforming microphones, very loud speakers and a 10/15 inch display.

PC webcams lost. PC OEMs can do better. They're pathetic at webcams.

If you don't like Facebook, you can get Google Nest Hub Max for superb video calling although it's camera is only 6.5 MP vs the 12 MP 140 degrees wide angle you get with Portal. If you use the webcam only for calling and not recording, these devices will forever free you from junkPC webcams which are a joke.

There are some limitations still with these devices - they are only good for calls, not other things a webcam allows like recording and uploading for vloggers. Facebook Portal does have live streaming to FB though. Despite coming from FB which has very dicey privacy reputation, it is designed with privacy in mind - coming with buttons to disable the mic and camera and a physical lens cover.

Thanks to NotebookCheck for raising this issue. Maybe Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, Acer, Microsoft - someone will realize webcams need to catch up to 4K and come with big sensor size, small f number, HDR - all the goodies that smartphone selfie cams have. Even Logitech's BRIO webcam is no match for mobile devices or smart video calling displays.

WillM

Do we actually need cameras in laptops anymore, at all?

Home users have long ago transferred to smartphones and tablets, and I believe the business users would actually prefer external clamp-on devices (the real 90s style) rather than built-in cameras. Or even no cameras at all, actually. Hence the fashionable shutters lately.

heffeque

Quote from: WillM on February 10, 2020, 09:00:20
Do we actually need cameras in laptops anymore, at all?

Home users have long ago transferred to smartphones and tablets, and I believe the business users would actually prefer external clamp-on devices (the real 90s style) rather than built-in cameras. Or even no cameras at all, actually. Hence the fashionable shutters lately.
Some of us actually use the laptop's webcam quite a lot. I understand desktop PCs not having webcams, but laptops... It's a must.

Sda

It is not only 720p cameras.. In 2020 they still have modern, slim laptops for a 1000$  with 4gb or ram. I bet their answer would be same... Who needs more? When cheaper mobile phones has 8gb+

Marc Sauter

I want a good webcam on my laptop. I have video conferences at least once a week, and a good webcam would enable me to use a laptop. Currently I need to use a tablet, in order to make a professional impression  and that annoys me.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview