News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Arduino and Raspberry: Single-Board Computers in Comparison

Started by Redaktion, February 05, 2020, 23:43:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A wide variety of single-board computers is at your disposal, starting with ultra-compact portable developer boards up to powerful systems that can basically be considered to be miniature computers with various connectivity options. Let us take a closer look at what is available right now, and what you can do with it.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Arduino-and-Raspberry-Single-Board-Computers-in-Comparison.452981.0.html

pacc

Raspberry are often good enough for simple servers while arduino are cheap solutions for simple io control builds.

A better middle ground is the esp8266 and newer esp32 which are cheap enough to connect to I/O or a sensor but still has wifi built in for remote sensing and control. There are support for arduino programming, but for all common usecases there are pre-made firmwares that can does what you need with no programming. (i.e control i/o or send senor data)

Rafael Moura

Arduino is not a Single Board Computer.
I am a USP Mechatronics Professor.
Please, do not publish without asking technical people....

Helium007

Yes, comparing Raspberry and Arduino is nonsense.

Arduino is MCU board for hardware controlling, while Raspberry is SBC.

While Arduino is designed for ultra low power and wide IO options, Raspberry IO options are quite limited on low level point. Power requirements are insane compared to MCUs. Not even mention that MCU can run within milisecons after powerup compared to dozens of seconds for Linux on RPI. SBCs also quite hate unexpected power outages, this is almost never a problem on MCU...

Basic thing is that RPI (or other SBC) is only good option if application requires some advanced internet protocols, security or can truly benefit from full OS. In other cases MCU is much cheaper, cleaner solution that can run on two AA batteries for weeks...

But yes, I understand that many people do not differentiate this because I still see a lot of people that are blinking LEDs from Raspberry... Very sad.

_MT_

Quote from: Helium007 on February 06, 2020, 19:37:33
But yes, I understand that many people do not differentiate this because I still see a lot of people that are blinking LEDs from Raspberry... Very sad.
I see nothing wrong with blinking LEDs from RPI in the learning process as long as the projects you have in mind benefit from what RPI offers.

This article is funny in more ways than one. Consider the definition of the so called developer board. :-) Here I thought they're called development boards (DB) and their purpose is development. Being able to develop without having to have a custom board. They're intended for prototyping and are typically not used in finished products. Of course, the situation is quite different with one-off projects. You can play around with the hardware, you can develop software without your boards being ready and so on. They have been available for ages for all sorts of chips. The difference is that boards like Arduino and RPI were aimed at wider, hobby/ amateur audience.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview