News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel scrambles 6-core i5-10500H to tackle Renoir

Started by Redaktion, January 31, 2020, 21:09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

According to a 3DMark page leaked by tipster @TUM_APISAK, Intel may be prepping a 6-core, 6-thread i5-10500H to take on AMD's Renoir Ryzen 4000 competition in the notebook space.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-scrambles-6-core-i5-10500H-to-tackle-Renoir.452771.0.html

Valantar

Comet Lake is still Skylake, right? If so, Zen 2 is ahead on IPC, not slightly behind. Ahead by about 6.5% according to Anandtech's testing in SPEC2017.

william blake

QuoteWhat exactly will the i5-10500H be up against, though?
this questions always baffles me. there is no such thing as up against.
QuoteComet Lake is still Skylake, right? If so, Zen 2 is ahead on IPC, not slightly behind. Ahead by about 6.5% according to Anandtech's testing in SPEC2017.
thanks a lot but i am not a spec user. my ipc consists of games, browsers and some video editing.

ariliquin

The main difference between Ryzen and Intel is not the core count, its 7nm vurses 14nm which will give AMD the advantage on thermals the main issues today will all thin and light perfromance laptops. Whats the piint of buying high end laptops that throttle to 800mhz consistently regardless of  their cores or 1 minutes scores?

ariliquin

Whats with the title?  Worlds first 6 core 8 thread cpu? As if this is an achievement over the worlds first 8 core 16 thread laptop CPU from AMD? Seriously Intel has lost this race and will continue to do so until they fix their manufacturing. The gap is only getting bigger until then... 

The Hardcard

Quote from: william blake on February 01, 2020, 00:07:12
QuoteWhat exactly will the i5-10500H be up against, though?
this questions always baffles me. there is no such thing as up against.
QuoteComet Lake is still Skylake, right? If so, Zen 2 is ahead on IPC, not slightly behind. Ahead by about 6.5% according to Anandtech's testing in SPEC2017.
thanks a lot but i am not a spec user. my ipc consists of games, browsers and some video editing.

There has never been a CPU that performed better on SPEC, but worse on other tasks.  If you want to know how a CPU will perform on games, browsers, video, photos, office tasks and so on, you can look at the SPEC results.

Dan Ridenhour

In the ole days (I haven't paid attention I a while) i5 and i7 chips rolled off the same production process and the 'difference' was how much of the chip passed performance testing.   So i5's were often i7s with failed cores, etc. disabled.     This sounds like a similar setup...  a 6 core 12 thread chip where at least 2 of the cores passed multi-threading QA... leave them turned on and give them a new chip to roll out the door... just by changing their Q/A process and what they leave 'on'.

william blake

Quote from: The Hardcard on February 01, 2020, 03:15:19
There has never been a CPU that performed better on SPEC, but worse on other tasks.  If you want to know how a CPU will perform on games, browsers, video, photos, office tasks and so on, you can look at the SPEC results.
we can say this about other tests. geekbench for example. i mean, ipc is always an approximation, no matter what we take. and i never heard of the consensus about "ipc=spec ipc.

S.Yu

Quote from: Valantar on January 31, 2020, 23:30:48
Comet Lake is still Skylake, right? If so, Zen 2 is ahead on IPC, not slightly behind. Ahead by about 6.5% according to Anandtech's testing in SPEC2017.
IIRC they squeezed a few more percentages each year...or every couple year or so since Skylake, bottom line the IPC hasn't been at a total standstill since Skylake.
Quote from: ariliquin on February 01, 2020, 00:47:14
The main difference between Ryzen and Intel is not the core count, its 7nm vurses 14nm which will give AMD the advantage on thermals the main issues today will all thin and light perfromance laptops. Whats the piint of buying high end laptops that throttle to 800mhz consistently regardless of  their cores or 1 minutes scores?
Again, Intel's 14nm compares with TSMC's 10nm. I remember debunking this before, on this very site. Also AMD's disadvantage remains in idle power management, for some reason.
Quote from: ariliquin on February 01, 2020, 00:50:40
Whats with the title?  Worlds first 6 core 8 thread cpu? As if this is an achievement over the worlds first 8 core 16 thread laptop CPU from AMD? Seriously Intel has lost this race and will continue to do so until they fix their manufacturing. The gap is only getting bigger until then... 
I think it's meant to be sarcastic, "*as if* this is an achievement".
Quote from: Dan Ridenhour on February 01, 2020, 03:37:39
In the ole days (I haven't paid attention I a while) i5 and i7 chips rolled off the same production process and the 'difference' was how much of the chip passed performance testing.   So i5's were often i7s with failed cores, etc. disabled.     This sounds like a similar setup...  a 6 core 12 thread chip where at least 2 of the cores passed multi-threading QA... leave them turned on and give them a new chip to roll out the door... just by changing their Q/A process and what they leave 'on'.
You missed how in the "new days"(as in, last week) Nvidia's rumored to release a variant of RTX2060 on a heavily cut down RTX2080 die.
Quote from: william blake on February 01, 2020, 05:38:38
Quote from: The Hardcard on February 01, 2020, 03:15:19
we can say this about other tests. geekbench for example. i mean, ipc is always an approximation, no matter what we take. and i never heard of the consensus about "ipc=spec ipc.
It's just that SPEC is a much better written benchmark than GB.

Freddell

The worlds first 6 core 8 thread CPU is the POWER8 processor in the Power S814 server released in 2014 and discontinued in 2019.
Intel is 6 years behind!
Author needs to check facts before spreading false news!

PolCPP

The i9-9880H says hi.

william blake

Quote from: S.Yu on February 01, 2020, 09:05:24
i wonder what is that even mean?
imagine rendering is my job. so i want to know ipc of a different cpu architectures for..lets say, cinema 4d, which i work in.
is spec also "a much better written" than cinebench r20 in this case?

Arjun Krishna Lal

Quote from: Freddell on February 01, 2020, 09:11:31
The worlds first 6 core 8 thread CPU is the POWER8 processor in the Power S814 server released in 2014 and discontinued in 2019.
Intel is 6 years behind!
Author needs to check facts before spreading false news!

I'm the author of this piece. Respectfully, what you said is inaccurate. The Power8 architecture supports 8 threads per core. There was a 6-core variant of the Power8 S814, but that supported 48 threads at a time on 6 cores. I urge you not to call pieces out as being fake news when they're not.

S.Yu

Quote from: william blake on February 01, 2020, 15:05:00
Quote from: S.Yu on February 01, 2020, 09:05:24
i wonder what is that even mean?
imagine rendering is my job. so i want to know ipc of a different cpu architectures for..lets say, cinema 4d, which i work in.
is spec also "a much better written" than cinebench r20 in this case?
What is a good benchmark? A good benchmark accurately measures certain metrics with sufficient discrimination. GB is not specific enough about what it measures nor did the old version sufficiently discriminate modern hardware. There's little data on the new version.
Cinebench is better for your use case, which is a niche use case.

Mastria

9th gen CFL-R H processors are the first 8C/16T mobile processors.
btw is the 4800H faster than 9980HK? Just curious.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview