News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft Modern Standby is causing some XPS, Lenovo and Asus laptops to heat up like crazy

Started by Redaktion, January 28, 2020, 05:19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It's not comforting when the laptop in your backpack or bag would heat up to over 50 C or 120 F seemingly out of nowhere. Microsoft's latest feature can be undesirable in most cases especially to users who are unaware of the differences between Modern Standby and traditional S3 sleep.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Modern-Standby-is-causing-some-XPS-Lenovo-and-Asus-laptops-to-heat-up-like-crazy.451330.0.html

not_anton

Apple has a beautiful implementation of active sleep - when I close the lid of my macbook pro it drops CPU frequency to 0.8GHz and continues working at about 2-3 Watts of power (can see it with Inter Power Gadget). Can start an experiment in school, then close the lid while it's running and go home; code continues to run smoothly without any heating of a laptop.

Mictosoft wanted to replicate this pretty convenient thing - and failed spectacularly because they don't control hardware and drivers of other vendors. FAIL!

MarkC

Can't beat Apple when it comes to stability and reliability. Windows almost always has one problem after another. Fix one and another one pops up just like Ford cars

undervolter0x0309

Yikes,

all the apple fanboys claiming perfection when Apple has many bugs with less than 10 devices to support.

Still better to have the Windows model that overrated underperforming devices

Ludovico

Microsoft should use the same Google Android methodology: provide a general release of the operating system and let the hardware companies to check and implement the new functionalities.
There are too many different laptops on windows, and Microsoft cannot provide the reliability for all of them.

Puppy

It has always been incapability of hw/driver vendors to implement the Connected Standby and later technologies correctly. No wonder when they outsourced it to cheap $1 developers ... That's the all issue.

Windows/PC world is already flexible enough running on almost any hardware thanks to the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) unlike s*** OSes like Android or closed systems like Apple. But it requires to have a basic skills of the driver developers companies are no longer willing to pay for.

Puppy

Quote from: Ludovico on January 28, 2020, 08:49:43
There are too many different laptops on windows, and Microsoft cannot provide the reliability for all of them.
They never intended so. Thanks to the HAL it is up to hw vendor to implement it correctly and that's where most of them fails because of outsourcing to clueless (but cheap) developers.

Line Noise

It may be a Microsoft driven change but the blame doesn't lay solely at their feet.

I run Linux on a Dell laptop and it has no S3 support in the BIOS at all! If I want to suspend it I need to run several commands to turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and put the CPU into low power mode before I close the lid.

The whole thing is a mess.

nikan

You can add HP Envy x360 13-ar0802 to the list: I had to return it this month and get my money back after 1.5 months of struggling to figure out what's wrong together with HP Support. When I was leaving it closed and charging overnight, in the morning I couldn't pick it up, it was that hot. And it wouldn't start of course with temps like that so I'd need to wait and force-shutdown it first.

Shame we didn't find a solution, pretty much wasted time and awful experience.

splus

All the blame goes to Microsoft and not the manufacturers and drivers.
A phone or an always connected tablet might need to be in a standby and receiving messages and phone calls, but NOT a laptop. When I close it it needs to suspend itself and consume as little power as possible. Just make it quick to resume.
The current Windows standby is simply designed badly. You CANNOT rely on drivers or apps to behave themselves! There will ALWAYS be some problem.
The OS needs to cut off everything, all the hardware and programs, and also itself, and go to sleep. Simple as that.

I own a new XPS laptop and because of this standby mess I always have to use hibernate and wait 10 sec for my laptop to resume from sleep. My 6 year old laptop needed 1 second to resume from sleep because it used a working S3 sleep.
Bad Microsoft design.

S.Yu

kengsim

I've encountered this before with my 3 month old ThinkPad T495s. The notebook was on standby and I put it into my backpack in the evening. When I took it out the next morning, it was super hot and battery was nearly fully discharged. It has happened twice and I now do a proper shutdown to make sure my backpack doesn't burst into flames or something. >:( >:( >:(

ziggy

I've had this exact same issue with my X1C Gen 7. I've managed to bypass it by changing the standby method in the bios from the modern standby to Linux. It's not perfect, but it does stop the battery drain and heat issue.

Rohan Garg

Well this nearly caused me a huge embarrassment at my college. So I decided to use hibernate. XPS 9570.

Jack Armstrong

Does it his effect desktop PC's as well? I do a 'Power/Shutdown' or F4 to power down and 1/2 the time it's running again in the morning. I disabled WakeOnLAN to no avail, plus setting the Updates to only happen manually. Perplexing, and a waste of electricity.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview