News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Are high refresh rate displays worth your money?

Started by Redaktion, January 13, 2020, 18:32:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the incredibly wide range of refresh rate displays available, 60Hz is starting to look like a thing of the past. While high refresh rate displays have numerous benefits, is it really worth it in the long run?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Are-high-refresh-rate-displays-worth-your-money.450053.0.html

gerger

I switched back to 60hz simply because the panel quality color-wise wasn't that great in the IPS 144hz screen i had. Also had some annoying backlight bleeding. Secondly, i don't really play shooters, which benefit the most from faster screen.

If they can nail the color accuracy in those screens someday, i'll take another look at them. Took me a couple of days to adjust back to 60hz, though.

confused

This post is wrong.

You actually want high refresh rate screens especially on budget gaming laptops, that won't be able to render high fps.

And this is explained in notebookcheck, in a news just below this one :
(see "the-common-misconception-about-high-refresh-rate-monitors")

Fendercore

This makes no sense. Why would it affect your performance o low end PC. In fact would improve performance.

If you have a pc that that runs games between 40 - 80 FPS, you will experience screen tearing after 60 frames unless you have vsync on. But if you have vsync on and you frames drop below 60 you will experience stuttering.

The benefit with a high refresh rate like 144hz here means that although you won't reach that high fps, you also won't experience screen tearing and wont experience stuttering from having vsync on.

Loki Rautio

Quote from: Fendercore on January 14, 2020, 20:04:37
The benefit with a high refresh rate like 144hz here means that although you won't reach that high fps, you also won't experience screen tearing and wont experience stuttering from having vsync on.
Yep, you're right! I've updated the article to include that information. The intention was to discourage users from purchasing high refresh rate monitors if their money would be better spent on other components. I believe I've cleared that up in the article with the most recent update, as well as linked to our article where we talk about that benefit of high refresh rate displays.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview