News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Huawei's CentOS-based openEuler goes live — source code available as well

Started by Redaktion, January 10, 2020, 15:00:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the arrival of the source code on Gitee, Huawei's CentOS-based openEuler Linux distro is taking one step forward. However, this notable effort by the Chinese tech giant is currently sabotaged by its unfinished website and documentation, as well as the apparently non-bootable ISO available for download.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-s-CentOS-based-openEuler-goes-live-source-code-available-as-well.449895.0.html

S.Yu

Well it's not like they're gonna be cut off from Linux so I don't see the point, if they can't use Windows then it's just Linux which has its following too, unlike Hongmeng which *does* have a point but is so far vaporware.

yfnew

The ISO is for ARM64, so of course you can't create a bootable drive with it. You need to boot it with QEMU that simulates ARM64 architecture.

Grim

I think that it would be a terrible idea to use this in production if you're not in China, as they can pretty much do whatever they want, and possibly, release ISOs that don't match the source code, or introduce vulnerabilities that aren't easy to see in code. Plus I've always felt like Corporate controlled Open-Source was not really a good idea. It's very interesting to see the use of the Linux Kernel though, I always assumed they would roll their own.

Codrut Nistor

Quote from: yfnew on January 11, 2020, 02:11:43
The ISO is for ARM64, so of course you can't create a bootable drive with it. You need to boot it with QEMU that simulates ARM64 architecture.
I think those who tried it used some Snapdragon-powered laptop. There aren't that many of those around, but they DO exist and can be purchased in quite a few markets.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview