News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple Watch: Doctor sues Apple for violating atrial fibrillation patent

Started by Redaktion, December 28, 2019, 16:31:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A lawsuit was recently filed against Apple, claiming that the company engaged in willful patent violation. The issue at hand is that the Apple Watch Series 3 allegedly violates a patent filed by Dr. Joseph Wiesel with regards to atrial fibrillation detection technology.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-Watch-Doctor-sues-Apple-for-violating-atrial-fibrillation-patent.448802.0.html

S.Yu

Hmmm, the link is blocked by the Great Firewall of China. This site, scribd,  didn't really catch my attention until I noticed that, but I was more interested in the patent itself than the court papers.

Jeph

I'd be willing to bet the mechanism of the Apple watch is different than this patent troll's. I don't normally defend Apple, they suck, but there's no way this lawsuit will have traction.

That'd be akin to saying no two people can devise different ways to do the same thing. Hello?!? This Dr is a patent troll. And look at his last name - I think that says it all.

JG

His patent pre-dates the launch of the watch and the article mentions he contacted Apple as soon as they announced the feature, (and before the launch date).

From the link on Scribd, he's cardiologist who worked in the field for over 30 years and has been working on this technology for 20 years, with the first patent filed in 1999. So hardly a patent troll.

rb

S.Yu

Quote from: rb on December 29, 2019, 16:04:05
Search google for Dr. Wiesel's US patent

patents.google.com/patent/US7020514B1/en
Very interesting, the patent seems to encompass a broad range of applications, likely any of the wearables worn on the wrist that detect a-fib falls into its description. I don't know if all or most patents are like this but if this patent is valid then he definitely has a case.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview