News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nvidia claims RTX 2080 Max-Q is faster than PS5, Xbox Series X

Started by Redaktion, December 26, 2019, 17:43:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Nvidia head Jensen Huang claimed that the GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q is faster than ninth-gen console GPUs at GTC China 2019. The claim raises questions about exactly how fast the PS5 and Xbox Series X really are.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-claims-RTX-2080-Max-Q-is-faster-than-PS5-Xbox-Series-X.448695.0.html

Matt352

Its also way more expensive that they will be and it has to run Windows overhead. Unlike consoles that can be more optimized and don't have cheaters on them.

Arthran

I like how he forgot to mention that said laptops cost 4-6 times as much as the next gen consoles probably will.

A

Console GPUs were never top end to begin with, they were upper midrange at best to keep costs low. Then make up for it with optimizations.

That said, Nvidia lying is nothing new.

TruthIsThere

Sounds like this guy is very worried about his ridiculous $2000+ space-heaters will be replaced soon.

HE MOST DEFINITELY SHOULD BE!

Brandon

Hate to break it to you but Nvidia doesn't know about the next consoles so how would they even know? Unless they know more than us which given that their competitors are fueling the next gen GPUs is doubtful. I also read an article with Phil Spencer saying that the new chip is way more powerful than any current Navi GPU so Nvidia are 100% talking out their butts

Spunjji

The cheapest I can find a GTX 2080 Max-Q laptop in the UK is for £1850. Even if it is faster, that's not a great value proposition at more than 3x the price of the upcoming consoles.

Nvidia have been charging exorbitant prices for their high-end mobile chips since Maxwell, and it only got worse with the advent of Max-Q (more money for far less performance) and then the RTX series (similar performance but with some useless features banged on and for even more money).

I'd love to upgrade form my 980M but I can't afford to. Thanks, Nvidia.

CoD511

We'll have to see but sounds like a bunch of marketing speak. Comparing a laptop in any way to a console is ridiculous though, especially such expensive ones that cost that much due to the fact they need to fit in such a small chassis with much limited power draw.

Max-Q chips though are high performing binned 2080 chips for laptops, if I recall. So if they weren't limited by power, heat etc. in the chassis of a laptop and were able to be placed in a console the size of the newly revealed Xbox without cooling or power restraints, who knows how it'd perform.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview