News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Two years behind the curve: The Xperia 5 continues Sony's tradition of making poor camera phones

Started by Redaktion, November 24, 2019, 08:23:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Sony makes some of the best smartphone camera sensors, so one would expect the company's flagships to offer excellent camera performance. That could not be farther from the reality of the matter, though, as Sony has consistently shown to be two years behind the competition in terms of real-world smartphone camera performance.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Two-years-behind-the-curve-The-Xperia-5-continues-Sony-s-tradition-of-making-poor-camera-phones.444152.0.html

frogg

It's a sad story; they had a loyal fan base for their compact smartphones, but no, they chose to get everyone mad with their nonsense. If only it was the camera ! but no. The removal of the jack for users used to the Walkman sound quality and ease of use, removal of the built-in radio, removal of the double-tap to wake, huge bezels, the rounded back of the XZ2C, which is curved now in the other direction in a future device, and to finish their 21:9 screen ratio which is unusable except for viewing movies, but who cares really?
Meanwhile Apple will release a SE2, with a 4.7" screen and they will sell tons of it, without any gimmick. Because that's just what many users want.

Lionel

Using DxO as a reference is never a good thing. For DSLRs they may be OK, but for smartphones, what they are doing is really questionable.
Don't take what DxO tells you for granted, make your own opinion by yourself, and you'll see.

Ricci Rox

Quote from: Lionel on November 25, 2019, 20:25:19
Using DxO as a reference is never a good thing. For DSLRs they may be OK, but for smartphones, what they are doing is really questionable.
Don't take what DxO tells you for granted, make your own opinion by yourself, and you'll see.

Definitely. But the Xperia 5 disappointed in our own tests too.

Lionel

JThom

i think Sony is trying to convey a clear message: cameras in smartphones aren't as important as the "media hype" OR they prefer to provide a good device overall which does everything as expected. And Sony is not trying to compete in the $1000 device range.

Why would the camera feature detract from a good phone? Why is the camera so important for the smartphone?

Sony lost most of their US market share - for smartphones - a while ago, but hasn't been really concerned about re-gaining some ground. I see Sony becoming a top components maker instead of a well-known device maker.

Shawn

They make the camera for people who want to use manual mode so they can get the exact pictures you want. Other reviewers with a BETTER reputations have shown this in their samples. DXO only uses auto modes to dictate their scores and sell tuning programs to phone companies to ace their metrics. This review was very different from others that have a lot more knowledge on the subject. 

normnod

I've tried to like the Xperia 5 I bought to replace a Huawei P30 Pro that I sold because I was concerned about it's future, I really have...

But its just not good enough.

I don't care if the manual mode is amazing, I want to take quick reliable photos for memories to look back on.

I'm buying another P30 Pro.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview