News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Sony's rumoured quartet of 2020 flagships explains why its smartphone business is going under

Started by Redaktion, November 21, 2019, 15:14:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Sony is planning on introducing four flagship smartphones next year if multiple sources are to be believed. However, the company potentially plans to split the release of the quartet across three dates, which may be up to seven months apart from each other. All will feature the upcoming Snapdragon 865 SoC though and 5G capabilities. Tell us, what is going on with Sony right now?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-s-rumoured-quartet-of-2020-flagships-explains-why-its-smartphone-business-is-going-under.443709.0.html

waaaaaaaa

vrvly

They need a lot of hw and features, even in mid range. Overpriced cheap boring as compared to xiaomi,...  no wonder what's happening with their sales. Even if they earn nothing, as long as sales go up, it a success.

Kevinw0lf

What I think they need to do is up their camera game to something unseen. Something like bringing their rx100 tech to phones. Samsung is already close to the sensor size of the rx100 and they should only keep pushing forward.

3 cameras, no more needed, wide (16~18 mm) with imx608, main camera with the huge imx383 and whatever is most recent that would fit as a "3x" (90-ish mm). Keep the lens bright and not much else, no need to cram features beyond the basic. Get something akin to G Cam working for them and it should be all good.

xpclient

They can't even name phones properly. What's wrong with Xperia 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. What's with 0, 1.1 W T F? So confusing as hell to even know what's the latest generation unless you are always reading about phones.

S.Yu

jay5

I get that some writers like to bash companies but come on. You're 'confused' because they're releasing phones throughout the year? These are leaked plans -- LEAKS. They don't need to fit the desired timeline of one critical writer, or anyone else.

Also, these phones look/sound great. It makes sense to scale camera sensors with the size of the phone (along with screen and battery).

Alex Alderson

Quote from: jay5 on November 22, 2019, 00:01:02
I get that some writers like to bash companies but come on. You're 'confused' because they're releasing phones throughout the year? These are leaked plans -- LEAKS. They don't need to fit the desired timeline of one critical writer, or anyone else.

Also, these phones look/sound great. It makes sense to scale camera sensors with the size of the phone (along with screen and battery).

So tell me, why has Sony Mobile performed so poorly in the last few years?

BliTTzZ

Their naming makes perfect sense I'd say.
The lower is number, the more advanced and expensive the model is.

Xperia 0 - most expensive and advanced model. 5K display with a wide array of cameras.
Xperia 1 - 4K display and triple camera. Perhaps some distinctive differencies.
Xperia 3 - 4K or FHD model with triple camera, new form factor (arc) and compact dimensions.
Xperia 5 - smaller brother of Xperia 1 with FHD display and classic form factor.
Xperia 8 - model with midrange camera and processor, but packed with flagship materials, water resistance, etc.
Xperia 9 - former Xperia 10 plus.
Xperia 10 - well... Xperia 10. :P
And Xperia 11 (?) or L3.

Decimal numbers like .1, .2 and so long mean generation of the device.

So, for example, Xperia 1 means 1st generation, and next year model will be Xperia 1.1

This naming scheme sounds pretty clear to me.

S.Yu

Quote from: BliTTzZ on November 22, 2019, 12:06:58
Their naming makes perfect sense I'd say.
The lower is number, the more advanced and expensive the model is.

Xperia 0 - most expensive and advanced model. 5K display with a wide array of cameras.
Xperia 1 - 4K display and triple camera. Perhaps some distinctive differencies.
Xperia 3 - 4K or FHD model with triple camera, new form factor (arc) and compact dimensions.
Xperia 5 - smaller brother of Xperia 1 with FHD display and classic form factor.
Xperia 8 - model with midrange camera and processor, but packed with flagship materials, water resistance, etc.
Xperia 9 - former Xperia 10 plus.
Xperia 10 - well... Xperia 10. :P
And Xperia 11 (?) or L3.

Decimal numbers like .1, .2 and so long mean generation of the device.

So, for example, Xperia 1 means 1st generation, and next year model will be Xperia 1.1

This naming scheme sounds pretty clear to me.
Yeah but if you look closer Xperia 0's successor should be named Xperia 0.1, sounds like it hasn't even left alpha doesn't it  ;)

LOL

It really doesn't matter. Fewer and fewer Xperia phones are going to be sold. At some point Sony will look at its mobile business that's bleeding money every quarter and say 'enough is enough' and call it quits.

My opinion is that Sony doesn't care, its other businesses are doing well. It already makes a lot of money selling phone accessories (e.g. wireless headphones) and IMX camera sensors.

LOL

Quote from: waaaaaaaa on November 21, 2019, 16:08:43
I really hope Sony releases a new compact phone.  Pray for 135mm or less. 130mm optimal.

Compact Xperia phones are not coming back. Xperia 5 is as 'compact' as you can hope to get.

You can hope and pray and beg, but you're just wasting your time. Sony already has problems selling larger normal sized phones, compact phones are a niche demand.

LOL

Quote from: vrvly on November 21, 2019, 16:58:14
They need a lot of hw and features, even in mid range. Overpriced cheap boring as compared to xiaomi,...  no wonder what's happening with their sales. Even if they earn nothing, as long as sales go up, it a success.

Sony brand tax.

Xiaomi cuts out the middleman, that's why the lower prices. Sony won't ever do that.

LOL

Quote from: Alex Alderson on November 22, 2019, 11:55:30
Quote from: jay5 on November 22, 2019, 00:01:02

So tell me, why has Sony Mobile performed so poorly in the last few years?

"Because most people out there are iSheep and Shamesung fans, who obviously don't appreciate the superior Xperia phones."

"Also, Sony phones lack marketing, if more marketing were done the sales numbers would shoot up."

I know it seems like a joke but that's basically how the remaining diehard Sony Xperia fans think.  ;)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview