News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo's struggle with keyboards on its AMD-powered ThinkPads

Started by Redaktion, November 16, 2019, 23:04:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

ThinkPads have historically been known for their great keyboards. Recently, certain models have been having issues with registering keystrokes or even just scrambling letters around. On the affected AMD ThinkPads, the keyboards are hardly usable until an update has been applied.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-s-struggle-with-keyboards-on-its-AMD-powered-ThinkPads.442790.0.html

nuhgooyen

Hi! Just wanted to point out that one of the links in the sources is incorrect:

Lenovo forum - ThinkPad E495 Lagging and Unresponsive Keyboard

forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/Thinkpad-E495-Lagging-and-unresponsive-keyboard/td-p/4511832

Also, thank you so much for bringing attention to this! I was happy to see that you sourced that particular forum post because I am the wrong that created it and am constantly checking it for updates.

davide445

So Lenovo finally sold a competitive AMD powered laptop with first class CPU and incredibly not only is a low end cheap side, but also was difficult to find AND the keyboard was faulty and needed a bios update. Sooo curios, isn't it?

jeremy

Quote from: davide445 on November 17, 2019, 23:48:39
So Lenovo finally sold a competitive AMD powered laptop with first class CPU and incredibly not only is a low end cheap side, but also was difficult to find AND the keyboard was faulty and needed a bios update. Sooo curios, isn't it?

Eh? The cheap ones - the E485 that I have is among them - were easy to find and didn't have this issue at all. This same issue affected their Intel laptops for years, some going back to the IBM era, and only recently was it fixed.

People just put up with it, adjusted their typing, etc. I had an X1C6 before this, and it was affected. The Intel-only X1 series was affected. Hardly a conspiracy, just sheer arrogance and incompetence.

mr sigh

I've an A475 here running Linux. I keep seeing "mout: command not found" because my relatively ancient and non-ideal stroke pattern is (apparently) to press the N before releasing the O. For the first time ever, I get a jam on these 3 keys, so I get no N. if I hold O and U, it repeats the later one, but if I then press and hold the N, it keeps sending that last [O or U] with a slight hiccup in between every few repetitions.

Though what I do can hardly be called touch typing, I can do 50-65 WPM on short sample texts using the wide keyboard (NSK-THA01) on an old Toshiba L505D. Just like with arbitrary UI changes, I hate being told that my muscle memories are wrong. I'm only just finding out about this and it is just kinda sad.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview