News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Chinese app TikTok under investigation by US government panel over censorship and security concerns

Started by Redaktion, November 05, 2019, 06:51:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Popular video app TikTok was purchased by Chinese company ByteDance Technology Co. in 2017 and has since accumulated over 500 million active users. However, ByteDance has recently been placed under investigation by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United Status (CFIUS) over concerns over its handling of the personal data of its 25 million American users as well as its apparent censorship over content incongruent with the Chinese state's version of reality, including strife in Hong Kong and pro-LGBT content.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Chinese-app-TikTok-under-investigation-by-US-government-panel-over-censorship-and-security-concerns.440923.0.html

heffeque

What's to investigate? A Chinese company doing what American companies do is now suddenly bad? Are they recognizing that the data collecting and the censorship that American companies have been doing globally for decades could be a negative thing that affects people's rights from other nations?

Now that the rest of the world has become accustomed to US companies' data collecting and US censorship, the US comes and out right "investigates" this, reopening a can of worms, and basically admitting fault against all other nations.

S.Yu

I have to agree that it's fundamentally quite similar to what US leftists employ to push their "unity under diversity, hate speech is not speech, positive discrimination is not discrimination" agenda, the main difference being the Xi monarchy's superior effectiveness with its iron grip, thus their censorship is more damaging.
Though they're similar in essence, the US censorship is the lesser evil. I support this investigation.

heffeque

Quote from: S.Yu on November 05, 2019, 20:26:14
Though they're similar in essence, the US censorship is the lesser evil. I support this investigation.
You say it like there are only two options: China or the US. Why is it always the "good vs bad" speech? Over-simplifying things to radicalize opinions should not be the answer.

S.Yu

Quote from: heffeque on November 06, 2019, 00:04:05
Quote from: S.Yu on November 05, 2019, 20:26:14
You say it like there are only two options: China or the US. Why is it always the "good vs bad" speech? Over-simplifying things to radicalize opinions should not be the answer.
Because there is no third option existent with any notable traction. In the grand scheme of things right or wrong take the back seat in the face of powerful or weak, and the Xi regime being the dictatorship of the world's largest economy (GDP by PPP) is the most powerful, the US being a democracy inherently has a much higher overhead of running the system, and the EU makes many mistakes the US leftists make, while carefully pampering Xi playing the balancing act between the US and China. Ultimately it's not even a unified power.
If anything I'd wish Japan is the most powerful which would put a damper on the brainwash of both sides, but that's impossible, rather maybe remotely possible with a lot of good will forming a federation with a unified Korean peninsula, but China if not the US would certainly intervene.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview