News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

ThinkPad X1 Extreme 2019: 4K panel costs almost 50% battery life

Started by Redaktion, November 04, 2019, 13:11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo offers the 2019 ThinkPad X1 Extreme with a matte 4K panel, but it also requires more power. As a result, the battery life is significantly shorter compared to the 1080p screen, which is also a very good option.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-2019-4K-panel-costs-almost-50-battery-life.441158.0.html

jimm98y

Could you please also test the difference when the 4K model is running in FullHD resolution? It would be interesting to know if reducing the display's resolution would help to increase the battery life.

Glenn Maples

Thank you, very much looking forward to your upcoming Lenovo reviews.

In particular, can we disable the discrete gpu altogether, and if we can how does that change ability to output.   

If we can't disable, is there a huge difference in the discrete gpu's in "idle" mode.  For instance, could some of the time difference you are seeing be due to the overhead of the different discrete GPUs?

Thanks again.

Puppy

But its quality can be better than the poor FHD panel (color space), don't mention that FHD is terribly low resolution for a 15.6" display.

Andreas Osthoff

Hi, the tests were performed with the integrated GPU and not the Nvidia.
The system supports dynamic GPU switching, I will chick if you can disable the dGPU completely in the BIOS for the full review. Since both models used the iGPU for our WLAN and video tests, the different dGPU does not make a difference.

The switch to the FHD resolution will not improve the battery life because the native resolution is still 4K, so it is just software scaling.

Vince

If I recall the original NBC X1 Extreme (Gen 1) review, it was only after repasting and undervolting that they managed to get 6 hrs of runtime out of the X1E1 w/ 4k display.

I remember this because I had the exact configuration X1E1 (8750H, 32GB, 4k) and only managed close to 4.5hrs with mine and was surprised NBC got 6 hours.

Kelsior

The article doesn't mention if this is the 4k IPS or the 4k OLED variant. Which one is it?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview