News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI Alpha 15 Hands-On Gaming Laptop Review: Ryzen and Navi instead of Intel and NVIDIA

Started by Redaktion, November 01, 2019, 09:13:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD made its comeback into the CPU business with its Ryzen series not only on desktops but also on laptops. The company made a similar foray into the GPU market with its Navi desktop cards earlier this year, a move that it is trying to replicate on laptops with its Navi 14 GPUs. NVIDIA has dominated the upper midrange of laptop GPUs for a while, but AMD is looking to change that, offering consumers more choice in the process. Read on to find out what we think of one the first upcoming all-AMD laptops.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-Alpha-15-Hands-On-Gaming-Laptop-Review-Ryzen-and-Navi-instead-of-Intel-and-NVIDIA.440494.0.html

xpclient

Meteorhead

Also one might be interested if the display had FreeSync or not, and if yes, what is the associated range.

MIB

I disagree with the author of the article , it does not come down to the price .
You see , I am looking to upgrade my laptop and I had 3 candidates in mind . MSI GE series , Gigabyte Aero , and at the last moment the all new hope , Finnaly a AMD laptop with a decent panel and decent sound , I was hoping ...
But still , nothing new here , ALL AMD laptops came with sub-par panels and speakers . I was hoping MSI was going to use one of the better 1080 panels they have , you know , 300 nits minimum brightness and close to 100% RGB coverage . MSI does put better speakers in the GE series but chose not to do so in Alpha .
I do not want to spend ~ 1500 to look for the next 5 years or so at a sh???y screen or have to listen to crappy speakers . I think I'll go the Aero route , cuz i'm kind of pissed with the stupid bean counters at MSI .
There is a place for bad image and sound and it's called 500 dollars Laptopia . When you get around 1500 you want your primary 2 means of interacting with your laptop to be at least decent .
I don't care so much for gaming , but the only laptops where you can get decent image , sound and cooling are the gaming laptops .
Peace .

Viktor King

Had really high hopes for an all-AMD 7nm laptop but the 4GB of VRAM really dashes all hope.

I can't believe we've seen the best the 5500M can do without an 8GB variant.

POS

Witcher 3?  Bioshock 3?  Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was 2020, not 2013.
Also, why even bother including audio results if your not going to have the decibel vs frequency listed, same with temp vs dB or fan speed.  This article feels 10 years old

David Floro

In the table accompanying this article, you linked the wrong Lenovo Ideapad model (a stripped down, $280 model w/neither an Intel Core i5-9300 CPU nor discrete nVidia GeForce GTX 1650 GPU). I believe you meant to link to the following more-competitive, $680 model featuring both the i5 & 1650:
On amazon.com:
Lenovo-Ideapad-i5-9300H-Processor-81LK00HDUS/dp/B07VC55LF5

Just FYI, in case you want to fix that (hey, better late than never!)....

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview