News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware m15 R2 is limited to 16 GB of RAM or just half of the cheaper Dell G7 15 7590

Started by Redaktion, October 16, 2019, 05:16:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

You don't have to pay top dollar for an Alienware when Dell's own G7 15 7590 can be configured with the same Core i9 CPU, GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q GPU, and 4K UHD OLED display for about $200 to $300 less.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-m15-R2-is-limited-to-16-GB-of-RAM-or-just-half-of-the-cheaper-Dell-G7-15-7590.439039.0.html

jeremy

Same thing happened with the L series Thinkpads. Lenovo's solution? Start soldering everything to the mainboard and limiting the L series' remaining configuration options, of course.

ThunderBolt3

I think I will purchase an unsold or even second-hand ThinkPad with unsoldered memory and storage because of this reason.

DF

This also demonstrates that there was no reason to solder both memory and wifi card in the M15 r2.  Perhaps Dell tires of the Alienware brand and wants to just replace it with something cheap in the Dell and move on.
Does the G7 support eGPU off the TB3 port?

Eric R.

Why is the RAM soldered, and why isn't it 32GB capable at this point? I believe the modules are available.

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: Eric R. on October 16, 2019, 15:33:33
Why is the RAM soldered, and why isn't it 32GB capable at this point? I believe the modules are available.

32 GB options should be here by the end of the year for the Alienware m15 R2 at least according to Dell at IFA 2019. Delays aren't uncommon though

And yup the G7 should support eGPU but only the RTX SKUs as the GTX SKUs don't have TB3

CFH2019

I purchased the G7 with all the bells and whistles referenced here and it did not have anywhere close to the performance the Alienware with the same specs??

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview