News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Ultimate Core i7-1065G7 and Ryzen 7 3700U/2700U CineBench comparison: How does Intel Ice Lake hold up against 15 other AMD Ryzen laptops?

Started by Redaktion, October 13, 2019, 20:33:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It takes more than just one or two laptops or one or two scores to call a verdict like so many articles tend to do. We compare the Ice Lake-powered Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 with at least a dozen other AMD laptops in a CineBench stress test to see which laptop comes out fastest. Interestingly, results are mixed and even closer than what you might expect.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Ultimate-Core-i7-1065G7-and-Ryzen-7-3700U-2700U-CineBench-comparison-How-does-Intel-Ice-Lake-hold-up-against-15-other-AMD-Ryzen-laptops.438947.0.html

DAVE JEFFERS

How about performance per dollar?  Ice lake is two silicon dies.  Its expensive to make.  And its expensively priced.

Eden

Thanks

1. Also didn't take into account pricing. The E595 is available for like 550-600 dollars
2. They are all in dual channel configuration with same ddr4 speeds?

DJ Gonzales

$1800 Intel with soldered on 16gb of RAM.

Not sure if this is really apples to apples considering price point. AMD is the king of value right now. You can get 2 or 3 of the AMD machines on this list for the price of the Ice Lake.

Joshua

Alex Marin

A note for the notebook check. Comparing a large 15.6inch laptop with a much beefier & noisier cooling (that is also configured to turbo to 35W all the time), against a 2-in-1 ultra-thin, ultra-silent, and ultra-portable 13 inch device (that is configured to only turbo to 25W for a few seconds and then operate at 15W) is kind of an invalid comparison. If you really want to compare like-for-like, so that you focus on the CPUs, you should compare otherwise identical models with identical chassis/cooling and power usage configuration.

The Lenovo Thinkpad E5xx series could be a good ground to compare the two brands. The ones ending in 0 (like E590) are the Intel variants and the ones ending in 5 being the AMD variants. There is still no Intel Icelake Thinkpad E series but there is the Whiskey lake one, the E590. Configured with an i5 8265U (4 cores, 8 threads 3.9. GHZ boost), IPS FHD screen, 8GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD, Wifi 5, Bluetooth 5 it costs $799. The E595 with a Ryzen 7 3700U (4 cores, 8 threads, 4.0 GHz boost), IPS FHD screen, 8GB DDR4, 1TB mechanical hard drive, Wi-fi 5, Bluetooth 4.2 costs $755. So there is $44 difference but you are only getting a 1TB 5400rpm mechanical drive instead of a 512 NVMe M.2 which have a price difference of 60 dollars (30 dollars versus 90 dollars). And you will definitely want to throw away the mechanical drive to replace it with a SATA SSD anyway – a 500GB SATA SSD costs around 60 dollars so you will really be paying a total of 815 dollars and still get a worse product. Also no Bluetooth 5. Ah, and in terms of CPU performance, the i5 8265U slightly beats the 3700U too so there is no performance advantage for the 3700U either.

The most cancerous thing in the pc market right now is AMD fanboyism. Nearly every article or video involving a cpu comparison between Intel and AMD is littered by countless worthless and misleading comments about the supposed much superior value proposition of AMD products. The reality, however, is, that when you consider the price of a truly like-for-like full system, with the only difference being the cpu (Intel or AMD), the difference in price is like the Intel system is 5-10% more expensive while performing anywhere from 10% to 35% better and/or offering better/more features. This throws the AMD value proposition out of the window. This is more obvious in the laptop segment since by the very nature of the product, you are forced to buy a full system (cpu, motherboard, RAM, storage drive, chassis, screen, keyboard, etc) - if you compare otherwise identical models (same model series and features) you will find that Intel laptops offer either superior, or at the very least similar, value to AMD's.

Foooiiii

The MSI prestige 14 deserves to be added to the chart. The hexa core comet lake burns the rest of them away.

Loni666

Intel always will be the best long term value. AMD chips will become buggy, overheating and eventually unusable.

heffeque

Quote from: Loni666 on October 14, 2019, 06:28:11
Intel always will be the best long term value. AMD chips will become buggy, overheating and eventually unusable.
This comment was written by a 15 year old that thinks that his dad's Athlon laptop is somewhat representative to how AMD's current laptops work.
It is true that AMD still needs a lot of work on the laptop front, but saying that AMD laptops will become buggy, overheat and unusable is just plain childish.

Astar

You know what is shamelessly fishy? It conveniently ignores the key selling point of the AMD APUs - iGPU performance. How can a review only focus on the CPU aspect of performance?

Also, the price - again so conveniently omitted. This smacks of an Intel sponsored hack job.

BruciateIntelBruciate

Quote from: Loni666 on October 14, 2019, 06:28:11

ah yes, the good old thermal paste that Intel is using against the soldered tim of AMD, yes, yes of course

AV

Filtering all the Intel fake marketing/news/notes and the ignoring AMD's GPU, it seems like AMD is coming ahead of Intel hands down.. 

WhengLi

I'm glad to see this passage but unfortunately, I must say that, this comparison is meaningless, in fact, misleading.
The MOST important nature of comparison of CPUs between Notebooks is adequate data. It means, unless collect enough data about CBR15 points between R7 3700U and 1065G7, we can say which is more competent and has better performance. And it also means, it all to depend on OEM's customize power control. Such reasons make your passage actually compare the OEM's notebooks, not the CPUs. In other words, it depends on the OEM gives how many powers for long time loading, with some disgusting 10W, some 15W, and a few 25-35W. Although the models are alike, the power can be totally different.

We see, the XPS 13-2in1 is not designed for performance with its light frame so that it will drop to 650+points in the last rounds, which is not represent the true performance of this CPU.
And it's also in the same situation about R7-3700U, which in many Light design (less 1.3kg) will weaken its performance. For instance, in the 2018 HP envy 13, the R5 2500U just marks 530 points, which is lower than almost all 4c/8t CPU models. In some HUAWEI notebooks, R7 3700U just marks 600 in the first round and then drop to 570.
In any case, the R5 3500U's rival is i7-8565U which mark 700+ in some models. If you wish a valuable consequence of CPU performance, take the highest and first a few round points.
The R7 3700U mark almost highest points in Thinkpad E495 for 690 points. However, the Thinkpad X390's i5-8265U can mark 710 in the first round, strike down the 3700U, and most important, the X390 is light design but E495 isn't. Don't refer the test on E490 because this model has a fatal problem in power and cooling.

And there's someone who doubt the performance of 1065G7. I want to tell you that, in a Lenovo Xiaoxin New models, it can mark 867 points (hold on 3.7GHz) and don't drop lower than 800 points in rounds test. The grade has STEP down ALL the 4c/8t intel U-series (including i5-8300H) and ALL the Ryzen H-series CPUs, let alone Ryzen U-series.
Another 10-gen Core i7-10710U, which have 6 cores and 12 threats, marks 1180 points in 35W configuration. Its price is lower than 1065G7. The comparison between different cores' CPUs is no less UNFAIR than between different OEMs conditions.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview