News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Does a laptop with both the Core i7-1065G7 Iris Plus and GeForce MX250 make sense for gaming? We give our early thoughts

Started by Redaktion, September 29, 2019, 09:07:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

You'll probably want to stick to the GeForce MX150/MX250 over the Iris Plus if you want to game. Though they may be close on paper, Nvidia GPUs benefit greatly from having more frequent driver updates and a dedicated pool of resources and they are just simply more reliable and predictable in their performances. Intel is going to have to step it up in terms of driver support if it wants to compete against the low-power Radeon Vega RX series or the GeForce MX series.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Does-a-laptop-with-both-the-Core-i7-1065G7-Iris-Plus-and-GeForce-MX250-make-sense-for-gaming-We-give-our-early-thoughts.435679.0.html

Bardys

Often you won't get official support for games while on intel iGPU which could be problematic.

Also as said drivers(or firmwares/cards itself??) are not as mature. I think to this date source engine based games have issue of becoming very dark after a few minutes of gameplay on Intel. You have to try fixes like "setting.mat_tonemapping_occlusion_use_stencil" or "+mat_hdr_level 0"

Paying more for Iris over HD graphics is not worth it for me because of that.
I only pay attention to HW acceleration for youtube as far as graphics specs go(and it's just dependent on generation of the processor, not Iris/HD series)

jeremy

Quote from: Bardys on September 29, 2019, 09:33:12
Often you won't get official support for games while on intel iGPU which could be problematic.

Also as said drivers(or firmwares/cards itself??) are not as mature. I think to this date source engine based games have issue of becoming very dark after a few minutes of gameplay on Intel. You have to try fixes like "setting.mat_tonemapping_occlusion_use_stencil" or "+mat_hdr_level 0"

Paying more for Iris over HD graphics is not worth it for me because of that.
I only pay attention to HW acceleration for youtube as far as graphics specs go(and it's just dependent on generation of the processor, not Iris/HD series)

^^Also my recent experience on my XPS15. I had managed to install the latest Intel IGP drivers for my laptop, recently, by installing an older version, then installing a newer one on top. This kept Windows Update from forcibly shoving an older version down my throat. Until yesterday. Yesterday, an older driver just barged in via Windows Update, again.

So sometimes, even with 3(!!) Intel IGP driver updates, you may not be able to get then. Dell, Microsoft, and especially Intel, are all blocking them from my XPS 15.

Intel needs to wake up. AMD finally did. Nvidia has long, long, long supported factory drivers on their laptops. It's basically part of the price (that OEMs pay) for using Nvidia chips. They have to give up their silly and petty control over drivers, and let Nvidia take over driver support.

Intel needs to stop letting this nonse... Oh, wait? AMD Ryzen 12nm APUs are already matching or besting Intel chips in battery life? Well, there goes the last major advantage Intel had over AMD in laptops.

toven

No, i7-1065G7 + mx150/250 or even 1650/1660ti doesn't make sense at all, for me, I would go for 6 cores i7-10710u + MX150/250 for the same price or G7 alone for less money or if I want more power 10710u+ 1650/1660ti which should be more expensive is fine too.

A

"Since games can only run on one GPU or the other"

Wasn't Vulkan and DX12 capable of heterogeneous GPU? Not saying it makes sense or anything to include both.

jayjay8382

I'm looking at a MX230 with a  Core i7-1065G7.  Any benefit to have a Dell laptop with a MX230 instead of the integrated Iris GPU

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview