News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell may have fixed Modern Standby for the XPS 15 9570, of sorts

Started by Redaktion, September 25, 2019, 15:33:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

As promised, we have tested the Modern Standby Performance Improvement Package application for the XPS 15 9750 to determine what it has changed on Dell's prosumer 15.6-inch laptop. The package rolls together several existing updates as we previously reported but makes one important change too. Dell seems to have fixed Modern Standby for the XPS 15 9750, albeit by removing one feature that some people may find useful.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-may-have-fixed-Modern-Standby-for-the-XPS-15-9570-of-sorts.435495.0.html

splus

I made that update and put my XPS 9570 to sleep after it for some hours. When I opened the lid I had to press the power button because the laptop went into hibernation on its own.
Looking at the powercfg /sleepstudy report it said the laptop hibernated after 2 and half hours because it exceeded allowed power consumption of 5%. Power drain was 2 watts per hour, just like before the update, which is too much to be usable.

So basically, the sleep is usable only if it'll last less than 2 hours, otherwise the laptop will automatically go into hibernation, and take 20 sec to wake up. What an "improvement" over the old style sleep which took 1-2 sec to wake up...
Microsoft could just rename the new modern standby into "hibernation". That's what it is. A big fluff of ridiculousness.

Zach

THANK YOU for continuing to test 9570 updates and report back, it's been a long road, but glad Dell is finally making some meaningful improvements

AleDe

There is new setting in the registry: EnforceDisconnectedStandby in CurrentControlSet\Control\Power. Seems, this option is new to the Windows Kernel - I cannot find anything in Internet about that. This option appears after applying of MSPIP and deactivates "Connected" completely

malcolmxtc

For me this update keeps the laptop from completely idling, so the fans won't stop spinning even in quiet mode. Process System PID 4 NT Kernel & System with an average 2.32 after 30 minutes in resource monitor.

Longer than a year since release and this model is still a bad choice.

Lex

I stopped installing Dell Bios updates for my XPS. Every update brings different kinds of trouble (as if this garbage laptop wasn't bad enough). 1.13 completely screwed HDMI / USB-C functionality for me. Now I'm back on 1.11 (downgraded) and it 'kind off' works ... Never again a Dell for me, that's for sure.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview