News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2019 with Full HD laptop review: Brighter and longer battery life

Started by Redaktion, September 15, 2019, 09:14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After the ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2019 with the matte WQHD display, we now take a look at the matte low-power 1080p panel with an advertised brightness of 400 nits.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2019-with-Full-HD-laptop-review-Brighter-and-longer-battery-life.434769.0.html

neio

As someone who's been using a 3200x1800 13" laptop since 2015, I appreciate the smooth fonts and detailed images this allows. Why is there little love for high-resolution displays on this site?

Ondrej

I own this version (non-campus one) and I have to confirm the review. Keyboard is worse than on 5G but still one of the best but I need to stress the quietness of the machine which is just superb. Much better than on T490s (where btw keyboard is loud and much worse). Also the look is more decent, power button is on the right, audio connector is on the left (which is an improvement). No issues with Thunderbolt so far!

_MT_

Quote from: neio on September 15, 2019, 17:14:15
As someone who's been using a 3200x1800 13" laptop since 2015, I appreciate the smooth fonts and detailed images this allows. Why is there little love for high-resolution displays on this site?
I don't care for high DPI displays in laptops because it costs battery life. And that's a very important thing for me in a mobile device (less so in a mobile workstation where I treat the battery as a sort of built-in UPS). When laptops still struggle to get through a day's work without an outlet at hand, I will take the extra endurance, thank you very much. I work with text a lot so I would appreciate it, but I'm not sure it's worth it even if endurance was the only downside.

But it's not. Windows historically sucked at scaling. And as a result, the software written for Windows sucked at it as well. Well, there was little practical need back in the day. Microsoft can improve the system and it has, but there are still plenty of problematic cases. I happen to do much more than just browse the web and watch movies on my laptop. The end result is that some UI elements can be big while others almost require a magnifying glass. It's awful. The only solution really is to rewrite all that old software. Which is not going to happen. And try connecting a device with high DPI built-in display to a low DPI external display or a projector. Even one of the simplest of applications, the Notepad, was a nightmare for Microsoft to fix. They wrote about it at length.

Having a DPI you can live with at 100% scaling is the simple solution. Especially in business environments with a ton of legacy software. Everything is going to work at 100%. I had 1920x1200 on a 15.4 inch laptop back in 2006 and I wouldn't go any smaller. As my eyes age, the opposite will in fact be true.

MSF

Is the ICM profile acceptable to use no matter which of the 4 1080p panels you end up getting?

Visitor

> Is the ICM profile acceptable to use no matter which of the 4 1080p panels you end up getting?

No. You may have to identify which display you have. See "Lenovo's Panel Lottery continues with 3 different 14-inch LowPower displays" post for details and use the relevant ICM file.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview