News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Flagship mobile camera sensors: Samsung cannot compete with Huawei yet

Started by Redaktion, August 05, 2019, 11:08:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Although Samsung's flagships usually achieve excellent results when visiting DxOMark and taking other mobile photography tests, Huawei's sensors are larger. However, this proves once again that the Chinese tech giant still has to improve its camera software to properly take advantage of its better sensors.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Flagship-mobile-camera-sensors-Samsung-cannot-compete-with-Huawei-yet.428689.0.html

S.Yu

There's nothing surprising about the Zenfone, it uses its main cameras for selfies, if enough smartphones with that kind of design actually made the list then the selfie category would be much more crowded.
As for Samsung, I think they're holding back, clearly proven by how they debuted the 64MP but chose not to include it in their flagship(s) of the year, I don't know if it's to maintain margins or something but this balancing act erodes their foothold.
And of course, removing the 3.5mm jack will do nothing but alienate users.

Helium007

Dear editor and people around,
please stop distributing global nonsense that more megapixels means better camera! This nonsense is actually globally accepted and I spend every day explaining people that this is NOT true.

The fact is that CCD/CMOS sensor technologies are almost depleted. All new technology (BSI, stacked DRAM, new front filters) are long time accepted in high end sensors. There is almost nothing to improve. At least not significantly, and not at all in year to year basis.

This is reason why manufacturers of smartphones are adding more cameras, because they can provide at least more lens types.
Also they are increasing resolution for no known reason, only for marketing and for stupid people whe believe more is better.

Just for example - take Sony most popular mirrorless camera - Sony A7 lineup. They are using same resolution 24 MPix since 2013 and on 3 generations !!! No one is complaining that they are holding back, because camaras are not good because of resolution. (trust me, I have one at home In density of pixels, A7 should have about 200 MPix at least with current "trends"...

Having more than 20 Mpix on smartphone is ridiculous and without usable reason. especially because phones still have bad image quality compared to good compact cameras. What is holding back good phone cameras then ? This current design trends of super thin and light devices. Nothing more.

Ricci Rox

Quote from: Helium007 on August 05, 2019, 21:56:32
Dear editor and people around,
please stop distributing global nonsense that more megapixels means better camera! This nonsense is actually globally accepted and I spend every day explaining people that this is NOT true.

The fact is that CCD/CMOS sensor technologies are almost depleted. All new technology (BSI, stacked DRAM, new front filters) are long time accepted in high end sensors. There is almost nothing to improve. At least not significantly, and not at all in year to year basis.

This is reason why manufacturers of smartphones are adding more cameras, because they can provide at least more lens types.
Also they are increasing resolution for no known reason, only for marketing and for stupid people whe believe more is better.

Just for example - take Sony most popular mirrorless camera - Sony A7 lineup. They are using same resolution 24 MPix since 2013 and on 3 generations !!! No one is complaining that they are holding back, because camaras are not good because of resolution. (trust me, I have one at home In density of pixels, A7 should have about 200 MPix at least with current "trends"...

Having more than 20 Mpix on smartphone is ridiculous and without usable reason. especially because phones still have bad image quality compared to good compact cameras. What is holding back good phone cameras then ? This current design trends of super thin and light devices. Nothing more.

But this article pretty much has nothing to do with resolution? It's about sensor size, which is absolutely relevant to image quality.

Helium007

Quote from: Ricci Rox on August 05, 2019, 22:13:52
But this article pretty much has nothing to do with resolution? It's about sensor size, which is absolutely relevant to image quality.

Of course sensor size is very important. But it still does have a lot with resolution. Just do the math :)
Samsung 12MPx 1/2,55" sensor = 25 mm2
Huaweii 40MPx 1/1,7" sensor = 43mm2

So according to this, with same density Samsung would have approximately 20,6 Mpx (rounded).On 1/1.55" it would be a little less. Huaweii doubles this resolution, because it looks better on paper.

So, if Samsung could use same sensor size with their current technology, they would ouperform Huaweii absolutely.

Of course, Huaweii could use 20Mpx instead of 40 and could gain super awesome light sensitivity at night. But no OEM does that, new device must always have more megapixels than before...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview