News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus ROG Strix GL502VS Notebook Preview

Started by Redaktion, August 16, 2016, 06:19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

[CN]cuttondog

Quote from: Fed on August 17, 2016, 02:12:58
Could you please tell us whether the weight indicated in the review is the result of your own weighing? ASUS claims 2.3 kg which would be 5.08 pounds, so there is a pretty big difference.
There are two differences between the barbones of GL502 series: GL502VT/GL502VM weighs about 2.3 kg and highs about 24mm, whereas the GL502VY/GL502VS weighs 2.6 kg and highs 31mm, more thicker and heavier because of the thicker thermal fins and fans

andrew

When will this be available in mid Europe? I saw it only on UK Amazon.

CN.cuttondog

No further information about GPU statistics during the stress test? Only the GPU temperature can be known from the titlebar of Furmark window in your screenshots.
Want to know is there any GPU throttling caused by core temperature limits (90 degree C)?

YoGabaGaba

We used the Unigine Heaven benchmark to observe the clocks of the GPU. The lowest core clock was 1582 MHz, the highest 1771 MHz. These two extreme values are limited to very brief moments, and the clock was usually fluctuating around 1620 MHz with a maximum temperature of 83 °C.

I would presume that is the test on it.

Fed

Quote from: [CN]cuttondog on August 26, 2016, 14:41:09
Quote from: Fed on August 17, 2016, 02:12:58
Could you please tell us whether the weight indicated in the review is the result of your own weighing? ASUS claims 2.3 kg which would be 5.08 pounds, so there is a pretty big difference.
There are two differences between the barbones of GL502 series: GL502VT/GL502VM weighs about 2.3 kg and highs about 24mm, whereas the GL502VY/GL502VS weighs 2.6 kg and highs 31mm, more thicker and heavier because of the thicker thermal fins and fans

Thanks bud, but that's not really what I was asking about. I'm aware of the differences between of the two models (the thin VT/VM vs thick VY/VS), but if you look at ASUS's website they claim 2.2kg for VM and 2.3kg for VS. Meanwhile, notebookcheck says the VS is 2.6kg. That's a sizable difference (13% more), which is why I asked whether they do their own weighing. 0.3kg might not sound like a lot but a) at 2.3kg it's already heavier than what I want ideally and b) that actually makes it go from the lightest 1070 laptop to second place.

AlexRlines

Hello!
I've been searching for a pretty long time now in how much time will his big brother come out, with 17.3 inches AND a Gtx 1070, and I've been unable to find anything...
On the Asus site, I found at first the model, it was written that is has a Gtx 1070, but no means to buy it.
Now I came back one the site and the model with a 1070 has simply disappeard...
can someone say to me in how much time I can expect to see it on the market?
And in which site could I see it?
Thanks!!

Alex

Is there any chance to review 4k variant of GL502VS? As 1070 is capable to spin 4k there no point of going back to FHD again (now i am with G9-791 with 4K display but it's Havy, Bulky and 980m struggles with 4k on many games, so i am looking for GL502VS 4k)

Dem.A

Hey guys could you test it hooked up to an external monitor i have seen several reports online that doing that forces the laptop into thermal shutdown with temperatures reaching 99 Celsius on CPU and 90 on GPU. This makes me very concerned cause i want to hook it up to a display.

jpnn80

Quote from: Dem.A on August 31, 2016, 10:42:07
Hey guys could you test it hooked up to an external monitor i have seen several reports online that doing that forces the laptop into thermal shutdown with temperatures reaching 99 Celsius on CPU and 90 on GPU. This makes me very concerned cause i want to hook it up to a display.

As I was looking for recent posts about this issue, I could not believe that it was already mentionned with another ROG laptop from Asus in 2011... So it does look like a major problem across series and not getting solved anytime soon! https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7167-G73SW-Goes-to-sleep-(possible-overheat)-when-connected-to-external-monitor

This is a shame for me as I really wanted to buy the Asus Rog for its lightest weight compared to MSI GT62VR, and as the only model Sager NP8153-S / Clevo P650RS with the same weight is available only in the US whereas I live in Europe :'(

yyh1002

Is Thunderbolt 3 really available on GL502VM?
I didn't see the official site mentioning it.

Hilden

Quote from: Chris Brewer on August 17, 2016, 15:01:30
What's wrong with the read/write on this laptop?

I'm not sure why this review came with the SanDisk m.2 SSD - maybe it was an early pre-production model? My GL502VS, including all other reviews I have seen, contains a Samsung NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD, with read 2190/write 1275. This seems to be the standard SSD used in their units (at least in the US).

D.A.

Quote from: jpnn80 on September 01, 2016, 00:11:23
Quote from: Dem.A on August 31, 2016, 10:42:07

As I was looking for recent posts about this issue, I could not believe that it was already mentionned with another ROG laptop from Asus in 2011... So it does look like a major problem across series and not getting solved anytime soon! https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?7167-G73SW-Goes-to-sleep-(possible-overheat)-when-connected-to-external-monitor

This is a shame for me as I really wanted to buy the Asus Rog for its lightest weight compared to MSI GT62VR, and as the only model Sager NP8153-S / Clevo P650RS with the same weight is available only in the US whereas I live in Europe :'(

There is one solution you can get a XMG laptop they deliver world wide, use clevo chassis. But compared to the asus for about the same specks you pay like 2200 $

Debunk

Guys the SSD in the laptop is not the one you have in your review unit it is a M.2 256GB Samsung NVMe SSD, all guys that bought it off amazon confirm this. Change the info.

ytaaa

Hi,
since GTX10XX are famous for latency problems....
Could you confirm if with newer Nvidia drivers this laptop has its DPC Latency issues fixed?

Epyon

So the review says 32gb ram yet every single one on sale is only showing 16gb. Being that I plan to be on the road a lot, I wanted a good gaming laptop that was fairly lightweight but plenty of ram.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview