News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft to begin phasing out the Surface 3 tablet

Started by Redaktion, June 28, 2016, 20:23:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The aging and less expensive Surface 3 tablet will end production later this year with no known official successors down the road.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-to-begin-phasing-out-the-Surface-3-tablet.168243.0.html

DigitalAlchemist

The Surface (not pro) line has had a very mixed life... the first RT model was invented primarily top push Intel into making an Arm competitor and it worked... but not until the 2nd gen RT models came out to show commitment.

The Surface 3 is really the ONLY intel based surface...  and its a good performer, I have two.  It will drive a 4k external display,  it has plenty of power for web browsing and light office work, especially with the Mobile office apps.   I also have an i3 surface 3 pro and the Surface 3 gets the lions share of use as its almost as powerful without the overhead of the fan... and usb charging lets me share the charger with my phone on the road.

But... Intel has already announced that cherry trail is the end of the road for the Atom... largely because the core M series has been working its way down in power to be close enough to the atom not to support 3 architectures.   Since the surface PRO line already includes a low end fanless core M model... that doesn't leave a lot of space for it in the market.

It does mean I need to keep an eyeout for keyboard covers and nab a couple before they disappear as I'll be using my surface 3 as my 'ipad' for a while to come.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview