News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Acer TravelMate P648-M-757N Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, June 15, 2016, 19:27:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Balanced bundle. With the TravelMate, Acer offers a well-made 14-inch alternative to the business models from the established brands HP, Dell and Lenovo. The TravelMate looks the same as its predecessor. However, the manufacturer has refreshed the hardware: Skylake, DDR4, and Thunderbolt 3 are on board. An already good computer has been made even better. Positive: The battery runtimes are excellent.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-TravelMate-P648-M-757N-Notebook-Review.167637.0.html

Vladimir

Would be nice laptop, but they decided to solder only 4GB (so bad idea) and no option to add no way to add HDD in addition to SSD.

Vladimir

I just googled a little, there are models with ssd + hdd. RAM can be extended up to 20GB (4GB soldered + 16G into slot).

Anon

Riccardo

Excuse me but how is it possible that it lasts 9 hour in "normal" usage with a 54Wh battery? That means a consumption of 6W, less than in idle mode!! Also Acer in the product description writes "max 8h of autonomy"..How did you get that result? I'm quite perplexed..

Drew

Just got this laptop, immediately upgraded to 20GB ram and 512GB m.2 2280 ssd , absolutely loved it and performance blew me away given this price.

Jan Žegklitz

Great review, thanks. There exists a version of the P648-M that has also NVIDIA GeForce 940M GPU. Is it possible that you could know how are the display output connectors and the lid display connected to the two GPUs?  Sometimes the dedicated GPU is not connected to any of the output interfaces and just helps with computing, sometimes some of the outputs are connected to one GPU and the others to the other GPU... Thanks for any possible answers.

Putin

Quote from: Vladimir on June 18, 2016, 10:47:49
Would be nice laptop, but they decided to solder only 4GB (so bad idea) and no option to add no way to add HDD in addition to SSD.

Yes there is, you need an A4DBH CV adapter. Can sometimes find them on ebay.

Laszlo Lieszkovszky

I believe the correct part number for the P648-M and P648-MG laptops for the hard drive adapter cable is 50.VAFN2.001

For the P658-M and -MG it is 1935-50.VCYN2.004

Although the two look very similar to me.

Laszlo Lieszkovszky

I purchased this laptop in the spring. Some points to take home:
- it is possible to attach a secondary 2.5" hard drive if you order the appropriate cable (available on ebay, for exact model number see my previous comment)
- No, it is not possible to add an NvME SSD - this needs to be supported in BIOS for the system to be able to boot via nvme, and this support is missing; I emailed them and the reply was that they have no plans to release an updated bios with NVME support :-(
- 4GB RAM soldered on with one free slot, which can hold up to 16GB RAM (PC4-2133, latency 15)
- Screen is not very bright as indicated in the review
- Acer website says it's possible to run Win7 on it but I've tried and had a hell of a time with drivers, so ended up just installing Win10. A shame because on my other laptops I'm sticking with Win7 for as long as possible.

Otherwise I think it's a great laptop, totally silent, runs cool, and fast. I recommend it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview