News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel NUC6i5SYH Mini PC Review

Started by Redaktion, May 02, 2016, 17:09:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Do-it-all Mini PC. The latest Core i5 NUC from Intel includes Skylake architecture and Intel Iris Graphics. It's capable of a little bit of everything from home use to digital creativity.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-NUC6i5SYH-Mini-PC-Review.164878.0.html

Josh R

"Note: This review was written while using the NUC6i5SYH and no stability or performance issues were seen."

This is surprising given the stability issues the Skylake NUCs have been plagued with since they came out earlier this year; the later BIOS updates issued may have solved the crashing/bricking problems, but it's hard to dismiss months of unhappy user feedback. Hopefully the situation is better now.

Adrian

There is a TPM: Intel's PTT 2.0 which may not be dedicated but works fine with BitLocker. Older Broadwell NUCs have it too (check BIOS). Just about all Broadwells, Skylakes should be able to enable PTT via ME. No need for external manufacturer-specific TPM on socket that may not even exist.

Note BIOS happily updates and naturally the Bitlocker keys are gone (since BIOS has changed) and disk has to be recovered. Other manufacturers (like Lenovo) know to check and suspend Bitlocker before update - but Intel is not so clever.

Not that updating the BIOS is "dangerous" enough, lost 2 NUCs this way, the recovery appears to "work" but then system is then dead. Not lost any systems through countless BIOS updates but Intel motherboards and NUCs ;(

Eric

1. Were you using BIOS v42? Is this NUC a new revision without WHEA errors?

2. Aleutia R50 uses the same i5-6260U CPU without fan (passive cooling with only large copper block). If this NUC6i5 throttles under heavy use, then I assume a system without a fan would probably throttle more frequently. Maybe you guys could get an Aleutia R50 (i5-6260U) for testing, and check the effectiveness of the passive cooling block?

3. Is it possible to put the M.2 SSD and 2.5" SSD in RAID0?

JoeWebb

Hi Steve – There's an error in the specs up on top. It says the 540 comes with 1024 MB of memory (i.e. 1 GB). If only! The 540 comes with 64 MB of eDRAM. You didn't mention that in the article, but it's a big factor in its performance over Intel HD chips that don't have any dedicated RAM at all, like the 530, 520, HD 6000, etc.

flz

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview