News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 13-9350 InfinityEdge Ultrabook Review

Started by Redaktion, November 05, 2015, 08:00:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Schardein

Oh -- was it the table that confused you?  Yes, that could be considered misleading.  I will remove it for sake of clarification.  I also added a note to indicate the room temperature differences in the write-up.

Michal

What a perfect review! Thanks!
How is it with the adaptive brightness? Did Dell come up with some tool to turn it off
even with the old 9343 generation or is it going to be just for the new 9350?

I was surprised that the battery went down so much compared to 9343 Full HD model. Maybe not only caused by the browser but also Win10 and new drivers or the PCIe flash that is more power demanding?

Anyway this is amazing device in fact doesnt have any major flaws. Incredible how quiet it is during idle and load according to you measurements.

Steve Schardein

Thank you Michal, glad you enjoyed it!

"How is it with the adaptive brightness? Did Dell come up with some tool to turn it off
even with the old 9343 generation or is it going to be just for the new 9350?"

Actually, we are going to have a chance to test this tool prior to our re-measuring of the panel characteristics.  We will let you know whether it works as intended as well as whether it applies to the XPS 13-9343 as well.

As for the battery life -- not sure what's up with that.  I performed a couple of the tests twice to ensure some degree of consistently (where possible), but for the most part the biggest difference seems to be the choice of browser.  Possibly Win10/NVMe something related to that may be playing a part in the discrepancies as well, though it is odd, as anecdotally the hundreds of customers I've upgraded to Windows 10 locally have primarily experienced improved battery runtimes.

Steve

Trix

I think it was Anandtech that discovered that some (if not all) PCI-E NVMe SSDs have problems with reaching low power states meaning that idle/low work loads will use considerably more power than a regular SATA drive however I don't believe the load power consumption was any different. Simply the SSD being unable to power down and/or go to sleep properly. Don't recall that it was OS related but more like inconsistencies between the drives and chipset implementation of the specifications and protocols etc. resulting in drives that can't utilize their power saving mechanisms.

Eidolon

Quote from: Trix on November 06, 2015, 00:36:56
I think it was Anandtech that discovered that some (if not all) PCI-E NVMe SSDs have problems with reaching low power states...

You are correct:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9702/samsung-950-pro-ssd-review-256gb-512gb/2

And this is also the reason why the notebook is not getting any significant power efficiency improvement compared to the 9343.This is a pity, because in theory Skylake would offer a decent (20%) improve in battery life.

Anyone knows whether this can/will be fixed by BIOS upgrades?

Steve Schardein

Hypothetically in the meantime, the user could always simply replace the drive with something that manages idle power consumption more efficiently. It is an unfortunate additional expense, but it is a solution nonetheless.

That could resolve both the battery life and write speed shortfalls if they matter enough to the user.

Steve

Evan

Can you confirm if the XPS 13 (9350) supports the latest version of Intel WiDi?

I wanted the MS Surface Pro 4 but lack of Intel WiDi and usb type c / 3.1 has made me look at the XPS 13.

JoePHX

Thank you Steve for another great review. BTW, the "vs. sRGB" gamut figure doesn't look quite right. It covers a lot more than 66% sRGB and seems the same figure as XPS 13-9343 QHD touch.

Hopefully a retest can works out. I almost decided to get this one with the thunderbolt adapter until I see this screen test;)

Steve Schardein

@Evan:

Unfortunately, I do not, as our test system came equipped with a Dell Wireless 1820A.

@JoePHX:

For what it's worth the screen looks the same to me as the previous XPS 13 FHD, and it makes sense that it ought to be also considering the panel model is also identical.  We will know sometime in the near future once our lab receives the unit back for remeasurement.  Also, though, it's worth mentioning that those ICC comparison images are a bit misleading in and of themselves at times: since you can't see them from every perspective and it is indeed a 3-D graph, some of the intersection (or lack thereof) is not fully obvious via the 2-D snapshots we provide.

Oh, and thank you for the kind words by the way!  I'm thrilled you enjoyed the review. :-)

Steve

Sid

I can see only one antenna cable for wifi.....maybe the reason for less performance ?
That's sad, but I think it depends on the card. I purchased a Latitude e7450 (after reading review from Till Schönborn here only), mainly because if the solid connectivity and dGPU(not that great, but still something better than 520 on XPS 13). If only they can make a Latitude with looks of XPS....

Steve Schardein

@Sid:

The other cable is indeed there, but it is black / camouflaged :-)

Steve

Walt P

atom

So, surface books beats this machine in everything but emissions and price (which is understandable). But this machine gets 89% against 85% for the book. I'm starting to lose my faith in notebookcheck.

Steve Schardein

@atom:

Firstly, I want to preface this reply by saying that my views and opinions are not representative of Notebookcheck as a whole.  However I feel as though I need to reply to you regarding this conclusion.

It would be understandable if your examples were actually telling the full story -- but they are not. Firstly, you have to understand that the vast majority of our scores are almost directly determined by the mathematics of our measurements.  Just take one look at the categorical breakdown: it alone should speak volumes as to the editor's qualitative judgment of each item, as well as to how the math affects the final score.  It is crucial to recognize that *a machine does not have to have explicit flaws to be less than perfect*.  In other words, a machine that has no significant cons can still wind up with a 70-80% in a category where another machine receives a 90% in that same category, because while the first machine is good in that category, the second machine is simply better.

So enumerating explicit items where you feel, based on reviews you have read, that one device easily tops another, and comparing the number and magnitude of those items (as judged subjectively of course) is not an accurate way of judging the scores each machine should have received by way of our metrics.  Our reviews take us literally dozens of hours to produce; the condensed version of our opinion that we deliver -- in as detailed fashion as possible, nonetheless -- is still not wholly representative of our total judgment of each of these categories.  We certainly do our best, of course, but that is why the categorical breakdown exists: to more explicitly summarize the particulars of our findings during our time with a product.

But even if you wish to compare specifics, there are indeed other shortfalls of the Surface Book as compared with the XPS 13.  Even reading the final paragraph of Allen's (excellent) review should shed some light on this:

"Do we recommend the Surface Book over a traditional notebook? Anyone who is already set on a detachable-type notebook should consider the Microsoft solution as it is a serious contender for replacing an aging Ultrabook. However, users who have little interest in the dGPU or mostly use their computers for browsing, word processing, and multimedia playback will find lighter, thinner, and less expensive solutions in the form of newer Ultrabooks with potentially more features."

The XPS picks up the slack in these explicit categories.  To quickly traverse:

- USB Type-C / Thunderbolt; 3 total USB versus 2 on Surface Book
- Very significant price difference
- Maintenance is far easier on the XPS
- The XPS 13 is far quieter while hardly any warmer at all under operation
- Better battery life
- Weight-to-screen ratio is greatly in favor of the XPS
- Somewhat better audio on the XPS

Of course, ultimately, it is up to the consumer to make the decision based on their own unique set of needs, intended use, budget, and so on.  Our reviews are merely meant as an impartial guide, as scientific as possible and yet as insightful and practical as we can muster -- so if the 4% difference the two editors of these reviews perceive to exist is not what you would judge to be case based on your own impressions of our findings, you are, of course, more than welcome to act on your own judgment and purchase whichever you choose.

They are both good machines, as indicated by our final scores of each.  It would be hard to truly go wrong with either choice.  But for many people, the XPS may be a better option.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Steve Schardein

Also, back on topic, to answer another question:

Reportedly a significantly powerful charger *will indeed* power the XPS via the USB Type-C port.  So that's a nice bonus as well.

Steve

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview