News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD shows off Lenovo Y700 with FX-8800P APU

Started by Redaktion, August 21, 2015, 08:51:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

New generation of the Y gaming series is coming before the end of the year with AMD hardware

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-shows-off-Lenovo-Y700-with-FX-8800P-APU.148371.0.html

Clippo

The IT world is small enough as photos confirm:
AMD announces its product in an INTEL conference about a LENOVO laptop with a Windows license for HP computers....
I already suspected that all these brands are the same... :)

Mehdi

Y series are high performance laptops from Lenovo and they decided to use this weak apu! It is not even close to i7-47XXHQ which regularly used in these models. The performance of this apu is similar to Intels core i5 series such as i5-4200M (more than 2 years old now).

Máté

The AMD FX-8800P is indeed no match for the high-end Intel processors, however starting with DX12 titles, raw single-threaded performance will not matter anymore. All DX12/Vulkan/Mantle tests showed that scenes where the CPU chokes in DX11, DX12 makes it almost idle with all cores rougly at 20%. Even on an AMD system.

I am glad that FINALLY someone makes a capable and good looking notebook based on AMD HW. This machine looks really good and if they do not screw up the screen or the price tag (intenionally), then it will be an instabuy deal.

TomTiTom

I hope they get different models with different setups. As I´ve been with Intel for a while, it feels good coming back to AMD. 8800p with 35W TDP is enough if it also runs a separate R7 graphics card giving "dual graphics", for my needs (a little gaming, some 3d models, creating and listening to music, videos and office).
Beware of a trap though, the 8800p can be "downgraded" by laptop manufactorers to run on only 15W, which is good if you are a lot on battery, but then you will loose (~25%) of the processors capacity, so if you want to run games, check the laptop has the 35W TDP.

Mohit Keswani

Allen.Ngo

Bmmm

Quote from: Mehdi on August 21, 2015, 12:06:07
Y series are high performance laptops from Lenovo and they decided to use this weak apu! It is not even close to i7-47XXHQ which regularly used in these models. The performance of this apu is similar to Intels core i5 series such as i5-4200M (more than 2 years old now).
Sorry to rain on your parade but this laptop does deserve to be in this product stack, the reason is that this is a gaming notebook (that igpu is pretty decent for an igpu and it has the colour compression found in other gcn 1.2 parts so the igpu will easily surpass anything but a mobile version of the iris pro enabled intel parts and the lower tier 900m gpu's from nvidia (the 940/950m will be hard for an igpu that has to share most of its power with the cpu to beat), also of note is that this is a very rare thing, an APU is put in a decent machine, usually amd apu's are shoved in shitty plastic tat with a 720p display and 1 stick of 1300mhz ddr3. all of these things hold the apu's back by quite a bit (they are sensitive to memory bandwidth). This is also the 1st arch that is fully HSA enabled and some software already shows immense improvements to the point where they can compete the higher end intel parts just being partially HSA enabled. without it it is actually on par with the 5th gen 5200u (obviously because the 5200u is just the 4200m with a die shrink and better igpu) on cpu and better than the regular broadwell based iris igpu's (dunno about iris pro though).

ty

the question is this FX-8800p TDP limited like the HP laptop???

if its the FULL unlocked 35w FX-8800p then that would be awesome!

Marcasswellb1

I own this laptop! Now! It is awesome even with the low TDP of 15 watts. Prior to having this Lenovo. I had purchased the Lenovo Edge 15 with the I7 5500u, with a dedicated GT940M for the same exact price.. I paid 856.00 with the tax on both. Both machines had windows 10 which is another issue for another time! I keep hearing how the M385x GPU isn't that good, and its about the same as a NVidia GT940M. Well I'm here to tell you that, The FX8800p turbos out at 3.4 and is faster than the I7 5500U, which turbos out at 3.0GHZ with only 2 cores hyper threaded. The Fx8800p has 4 cores thread to 8, which will matter when DX12 is in full affect! But I really want to compare the The GPU's, The AMD Y700 comes with The R9 M385X 4 GIGS of DDR5 V-Ram.. The Lenovo Edge comes with the NVidia GT940m with 2GIGS of DDR3 V-Ram. I can't believe that people are even trying to compare the two. They are not even close. I owned both and the AMD R9 M385X is more on par with the GTX960M and better than the 960M with only 2Gigs of V-Ram.. The truth of the matter is that when you are playing a game that NVidia had a part in creating with there physics, well then obviously the 960m is gonna get better bench marks. But when your playing a game that AMD had a had in making the AMD tends to perform better. I can't stand when Intel and NVidia people post there bias bench marks. The performance of the cpu/gpu are going to depend on so many different factors, but anyway, I'm glad I had anything goes insurance on the Lenovo Edge 15 and it accidently on purposed got broke, so I could get the Y700, because this AMD Y700 smokes that thing!! The games I was playing on the edge, had to have the settings turned down from low to mid.. With the AMD Y700 I can play my games on mid to high and ultra even! Don't believe all those NVidia Bench marks, It depends on the game more than anything else.. Cus My R9 M385X blows the GT940M and The Gtx 950M out of the water.. When Gaming keep in mind its a combination of the right hard where that matters, more than just a fast processor and n average GPU. Or a slow CPU with 2 cores and a Fast GPU. They can bottle neck each other! Also I love NVidia but they gotta stop using games that they help create to compare vs AMD!!!!  marcasswellb1

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview