News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, April 01, 2015, 10:55:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Not without flaw. The good Elitebook to start with has been slightly improved owing to the Broadwell processor: A longer battery life and lower power consumption. Unfortunately, HP has not taken care of the laptop's shortcoming - the screen.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-EliteBook-840-G2-Notebook-Review.139398.0.html

Quoc

I am not very clear of m.2 ssd and the LTE WWAN module.

So, they have two separated slots. One for m.2 ssd and one for WWAN module?

Am I right?

Csaba

Jim H

>:(
Worst laptop ever. Slow, stupid, and absurdly problematic. I use it for work, it's prone to freezing slowness, the hard drive had to be replaced... twice, and random blue screen malfunctions. It sits on my desk when I'm not using it for work while my dell elitebook 14z comes with me everywhere and get's beaten around... GUESS WHICH ONE WORKS BETTER!!
I'm curious how this laptop comes in at $1,200, has substandard performance when compared to other equivalent models, yet still rates 3.5-4.5 stars. Someone getting a little HP money are we?

Ted

Works fine for me(i7).
/though there was one isolated bsod, but was solved after reboot/
update drivers regularly with support assistant

Neil in NC

Hard to believe this reviewer is still bashing the low end screen, while neglecting to check out the far better screens available for this model.  Doing a big disservice to a really nice laptop.  I bought one with a FHD UWVA display, it's a joy to use and the viewing angle and brightness are great.  Get off your soapbox and tell the whole story.

Mark12

I have it for a while now,
it is working great and etc:)[/size]

but major fault! is the bad design of the fan (basically heats up when the R7 M260X kicks in up to ~100°C >:( even under the very light gaming, editing)

should be fine as long as you go with the integrated GPU
why HP even offer the option if they can't fix the overheating?

Mark12

note: I found a temporary way to avoid the overheating issues and use the discrete GPU
just maximize the processor state to 75-80% in power options

BatteryBackupUnit

HP's QuickSpecs for the 840 G2 with the tested display mention a typical brightness of 250nits and a minimum contrast ratio of 300:1. Test results here were 293.8nits and 334:1. So i guess that at least the specs are not that far off from the truth.

I'm currently looking into buying a 840 G3 with a FHD screen. The Quickspecs of the G3 state for the FHD screen: 300nits typical, min 300:1. So at least the screen should be ~50nits brighter. Contrast ratio is still unchangedly bad though.
The G3 also offers the option of a 2560x1440 Panel, which is rated at 340nits typical, 600:1. So it's both brighter and also has better contrast. That would be acceptable. Too bad it's not available "on discount" as the FHD version is. I'd have to pay ~500$ more :/

G2 Quickspecs: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04472796.pdf?ver=7
G3 Quickspecs: http://docplayer.net/11604020-Quickspecs-overview-hp-elitebook-820-g3-notebook-pc-hp-elitebook-840-g3-notebook-pc-hp-elitebook-850-g3-notebook-pc.html

BatteryBackupUnit

addendum: the G2 screen which Neil mentioned earlier is specified at 300nits typical, 600:1 minimum. Too bad it's not available for the G3 anymore (the equivalent in the G3 has a 300:1 min.specification).

Marie-Jo

I just bought for 550 euros an Elitebook 840 G2 second-hand with the full HD screen (only on i7 models). Calibrated it with Spyder Pro 5 which stated 99% sRGB coverage.
I like this series because it's so well built and easy to maintain. Just waiting for hte m.2 SSD I ordered to upgrade it to Windows 10.

User2

Note: this laptop works very fine after 1.5 year, since the drivers have been optimized meantime, thus fixing most of the initial issues.
Which cannot be said for G3.

daniele

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview