News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel unveils new Atom processors

Started by Redaktion, March 02, 2015, 23:56:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The new chips unveiled today aim smartphones, phablets, and tablets, as well as convertibles. First products that use them are expected in mid-2015.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-unveils-new-Atom-processors.137457.0.html

timon

Really bad, actually so poor, Atom x5 and x7 are all of the same old eMMC 4.51 like their Bay Trail-T, it did not upgrade into iSSD/SATA or UFS 2.0, even nor get eMMC 5.1.

Even, all x5 x7 are without the SATA I/O, but the  former generation Bay Trail-M support SATA I/O, iSSD available.

Also, USB i/O port  is the old design of 3.0, no USB 3.1, it is the same former generation Bay Trail-T.

In the Android side, the UFS 2.0 chip already started, in 2H 2015 we will see the UFS 2.0 chip by Android devices.

Codrut Nistor

As usual, progress takes small steps. For most consumers USB 3.0 is fast enough and the performance bottleneck for tablets/convertibles is usually the Internet connection speed... just my 2 cents. ;)

timon

Based on the x86 Windows device look at eMMC that should be cursed of thing. The x86 Windows OS is heavy, fully unlike a lightweight Android.

Moreover, Android is mainly for play just, but MS has been claiming that Windows x86 is productivity.

Also, USB port is not mainly for Internet, but the Windows device the USB is main tool one, thus, USB 3.1 is more needed.

Codrut Nistor

Do you really believe USB 3.0 is that slow? It's not like there's that much of a difference between 3.0 and 3.1 as between 2.0 and 3.0, after all.

timon

Although USB 3.0 is much faster than  USB 2.0, but is not an excuse becomes Intel to continue using their old designed USB 3.0 I/O that 2 years ago.

Surely, very wanted the USB 3.1 and Type C port,
The examples one, in the fields and outdoors, when taken the RAW format photos and then the files bulk to transfer into tablet via the USB connection.
I think that you already knew about the RAW format photos, what is size of files.

Even, many who taken the HD video later to import into the tablet, could they care nothing about USB 3.1? do you really think so?
(Note, not to say phonecam or webcam, for the photos and video)

Also, Intel wanted their designed USB I/O to be behind competitors, steps like the mobile chip, again?

Codrut Nistor

Oh yeah, I know. I got a few buddies who are professional photographers and they usually carry a lot of class 10 cards with them. Moving RAW files around while in the field can be quite a time killer. I think Intel is still pulling some juice from old technology. Not that they're the only ones to do so... look at AMD and NVIDIA, for example.

timon

And, therein said above is merely one of many examples.
However, just in the interchangeable lens cameras are the shipping qty over 10 Million units each year since after 2006. The recent years, these shipments are almost close to 20 Million units each year. Besides the interchangeable lens cameras, in addition there is a lot of  high-class fixed lens cameras as the shipping qty in each year.

There are not just being professional photographers, the amateur and camera lover are far a much huger market to these tablet makers. But so far, therein lack satisfactory products (from an affordable price), especially for Windows tablet.
(do not welcome these knockoffed-Windows-tablet, very dislike Atom z3735G/F, extremely junk chips)

"Not that they're the only ones to do so... look at AMD and NVIDIA"
Okay, so have to say, AMD was already not as good as Intel, Nvidia was already not as good as Intel. But, Intel was already being behind competitors in the mobile market, is that Intel wanted to become second AMD?

MS + Intel = the two losers in tablet market,
Intel has to admit himself extremely dereliction.

timon

The USB 3.1 has much more uses, say like HDMI-input while in tablet can borrow a USB 3.1 port to connect accessing an outer device HDMI-out,  through using an HDMI-out/USB converter.

People have ever asked for Intel adds the HDMI-input capability at the tablet and laptop, makes it can be switched to act as a field monitor capable of being outdoor use, no longer just to run an OS, but is no any response from Intel.

All of these high-class cameras have an HDMI-out port.
Sony PalyStation has HDMI-out, a lot of  media players have HDMI-out.
Also, an HDMI-input feature also builds up the tablet's added-value, like for IT maintenance aid tool, or is a sub-monitor comes with HDMI-input, etc, etc...

of course, a tablet certainly needed an HDMI-out port,
But, HDMI-input and HDMI-out able to use a physically single micro-HDMI port, because you are impossible at the same time could need the HDMI-input and HDMI-out, based on a tablet.
I select a tablet (or laptop) that is certainly having an HDMI-out port,  despite the tablet is an 8-inch screen (16:10), or is 8.5-inch better, (16:10).

timon

USB, HDMI, GPS and e-Compass are necessary on a tablet, very useful. (Not be willing of a buy, when a tablet lacked those features)

Undoubted, USB 3.1 and with a Type C port must be better.

When a tablet adds with HDMI-input feature will undoubtedly gain in wide purposes and markets, if in the future someone did.

GPS/GNSS must be compatible to the mode NMEA 0183 + virtual COM, (Windows 8/8.1 the sensor API and Location API the way is damnable)

Codrut Nistor

I understand USB and GPS, maybe e-Compass as well, but why HDMI? The awesome part about Type-C USB is that you can drop a bunch of different cables and ports and only have one connector for multiple uses. Slowly we're getting close to a "one size fits all" connector. Hopefully same will happen with all these cables as well...

timon

HDMI-out,
For a usual 8.5-inch tablet is that I mainly use the 8.5-inch screen at outdoors, but indoor or a hotel room the tablet will be used as my main computer tool when, well then I would more be willing to connect it to a larger display device (monitor or HDTV), not just a small screen.

I have a set of HDMI kit, also able to connect to DVI or VGA, not just the HDMI of display is available, like this
My HDMI Travel Kit (for a Toshiba WT8-A 8-inch tablet), posted at 09-26-2014 06:50 AM:
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Encore-Tablets/%C2%B5HDMI-to-VGA-converter-that-works-with-Encore-8/m-p/616201#M8354

a "one size fits all" connector,
Never want to get an only USB port to be acted as a video port part-time, unless it comes with the two USB ports at least, but is still with another HDMI-out port would be better.   

did you know about the newest Macbook has attracted Apple fans' anger?  ----- "And like the iPad, it only has one port, which is the cause of the outcry."
http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/10/apples-latest-betrayal/

e-Compass,
When you came into a cavern or tunnel, GPS becomes unavailable, have to use the e-Compass.
Besides that, the e-Compass is also more uses, for example, when came into a strange place you can be beforehand to know about local Sunrise position via using the e-Compass, very useful to a shooter.

Codrut Nistor

I bet Apple will now sell some USB splitters/hubs for ridiculous prices soon. ;)
P.S. Just wondering... why carry around a tablet with that HDMI kit instead of a light laptop/convertible for more serious endeavors?

timon

Why a tablet and the HDMI kit carry with, instead of a lightweight laptop?

I. At the shooting field as my need to be a tablet (the best is an 8.5-inch screen), rather than a lightweight laptop comes with fixed mode keyboard.

II. A touchscreen is needed, or even with a stylus included, rather than must operate a keyboard.

I believe you must not be a photography lover, did not have relevant experience.
Unspeakable, when you are controlling a camera on the tripod, but whilst must operate a keyboard.
Also, an opened laptop would turn into a much larger shape, and also considerable trouble to hold on hand as the use.

Codrut Nistor

When I take pictures I usually have enough space on my card. Obviously I'm not shooting any RAW images. In your case, I guess you also have some apps on the tablet that can interact with the camera or accessories like a remote, right? As I said earlier, my professional photographers friends have A LOT of cards to carry around, then they process the stuff at home on their computers. Or laptops, one of them moved from desktop to a MacBook Pro and says he's never going back. ;)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview