News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Meine Erfahrung/my experience ASUS notebook B551LA-CN101G

Started by calmue, December 25, 2014, 23:21:01

Previous topic - Next topic

calmue

Hi all, here is my short review for the ASUS notebook B551LA-CN101G, 64bit. First a brief description of the spec: monitor 15.6 inch 1920 x 1080 pixel TFT/LCD; Intel Core i5-4200U, 2-core, 1.6 to 2.6 GHz; 1 x 8GB DDR3 (SODIMM, 204 pins, see for additional info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO-DIMM) 1.35V, one RAM slot empty, so, max is 16 GB RAM; 128 GB SSD; Intel HD Graphics 4400, 1x USB 2.0, 3x USB 3.0, Bluetooth 4.0, card reader, webcam.

Pro: light weight and sturdy due to carbon reinforced casing. Keyboard is fine. All in all it is of decent, business like appearance. It does what you can expect from above spec and processor. It runs very quiet and even under heavy load the fan noise is not much, also due to the fact that there is one fan inside only.

Con: not hardware-upgrade friendly. I wanted to add another 8 GB RAM and another SSD. In order to do that one has to open the back cover completely by unscrewing all the screws (of unequal length) thereby voiding the warranty. RAM needs to be 1.35V type. Standard 1.5V does not work. BIOS does not allow changing the CPU voltage (perhaps not advisable anyway). Interestingly there is space available for adding another SSD but I couldn't find an additional SATA connecting point on the motherboard to connect it to; or did I just miss to see it??? See attached images I took of my laptop with the back cover open. The 128GB SSD is of form factor mSATA.

I attached two images of the motherboard from different viewing angles. One of those images indicate the space provided that would perfectly fit an 2.5" form factor SSD (small red arrow at bottom of picture).

Operating system: Not happy with ASUS supplied Windows 7 and just an upgrade to Windows 8.1 and the fact that the 'recovery portion' on the hard drive ate away storage space I installed Win 8.1 OEM (formatted the hard drive). There is an issue with the ASUS keyboard driver (ATK pack). Solution was to reinstall the OS from scratch and let Windows update install all drivers and none from the supplied CDs that came with the ASUS package. Hmm, ASUS did a bit of a sloppy job here...

BIOS: The BIOS offers security features such as TPM and there is also a finger print sensor. So, for business users this might be great but couldn't decide whether or not TPM is a pro or con, so, I let you guys decide. Nice was the fact that it is possible to lock or unlock the built-in camera, wireless LAN or USB ports in the BIOS setup. In particular the camera built into laptops these days can be annoying if one does NOT want it to be on all the time. But that's another discussion...

There is already another review of a similar model out there (www.notebookcheck.com/Asus-B551LA-CN018G.117957.0.html) which I think is pretty much applicable to this one.

Hildegarde53843

Hey :), hier möchte ich meine Gedanken über dieses Problem mit Ihnen zu teilen.
So habe ich heruntergeladen und die Treiber installiert sind:
1. Laden Sie DriverTuner Program an: http://www.official-drivers.com/;
2. Starten Sie DriverTuner und klicken Sie auf "Start Scan" -Taste wird DriverTuner Ihren Computer zu scannen und finden Sie alle Windows-Treiber. Dann empfehlen Sie die neuesten Windows-Treiber.
3. Klicken Sie auf die Schaltfläche "Download", wird DriverTuner alle verpasst Windows-Treiber für Sie zu installieren.
Hoffe, dass dies könnte auch für Sie arbeiten.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview