News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The Best Notebook Displays As Reviewed By Notebookcheck

Started by Redaktion, July 11, 2014, 10:07:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

No compromises. Is the display is the most important part of an notebook for you and does it play a leading role in your purchase decision? Our overview of the best displays in current notebooks reviewed by Notebookcheck might be helpful for you. Top displays as of July 2014.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html

Ievgen

There are 2 missed aspects: PWM pulsation, and crystalline effect. They have great impact on the user experience, and they can be more important then ppi or color reproduction, especially in the case of long-time working. Unfortunately, there are very few or no info about them in most web reviews.

Raj

Jeff Belin

Where does the IGZO 3200 x 1800 screen on the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus fit into this?  Stats are pretty similar to same screen in Dell Precision M4800 even if the computer is not the equal.

Danilo S

Very interesting that U904 ranks so poorly, even though when you compare it to all the immediate neighbours in the table, it seems to win easily in most parameters.

FWIW, as an answer to Jeff Belin's first comment, Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus screen is not Sharp IGZO, afaik. Sharp's panels have no trouble rendering great colours (look up the yellow issues with Samsung's panels), and are brighter while still keeping a great contrast ratio.

jza

I would also like Notebookcheck to pay attention to PWM brightness control.

john

Perhaps the best display ever put on a laptop:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Zenbook-Prime-UX31A-Ultrabook.80135.0.html

brruno

Where are Clevo High Gamut displays ? they are pretty great....

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Eurocom-X3-Clevo-P157SM-Notebook.95124.0.html

AI

jza, yes.  I can't stand PWM monitors at all, horrible headache starts after 5 minutes. They should check it from now. Checking PWM and PWM's frequency takes maximum 30 sec. I just cant understand why they dont pay attention for it.

Dub Dublin

I'm a bit surprised not to see the Surface Pro 3 listed here (hell yes, it's a laptop).  I'm no fanboy, but I was blown away by the job Microsoft did on this thing - it's truly one of the best displays I've ever seen anywhere - and it's considerably cheaper than most of the competitors you list here, too.  It also gets bonus points in my book for its modern and useful 3:2 aspect ratio that doesn't force you to work through the 16:9 HD "mailslot".  (Only two of the laptops here are even 16:10, which is still pretty lame.)

As for PWM, I agree stats would be good.  PWM is a deal-killer for me - like LED taillights (yuck!), PWM for backlights is horrid and incredibly visually stressing.  I'm really not sure it's possible to crank the frequency up enough to keep it from sucking, since the blinking is the fundamental problem, and a great many people are obviously sensitive to it at frequencies that are "supposed to be" way beyond perceptible.

boomer

Interestingly the Samsung 156HL01-102 is listed twice as IPS and once as TN. It has different measured values too. Could this be a mistake?

John doe

The LP173WF3-which used in the elitebook 87x0w 16:9 models and Zbook 17 is the best. no grain effect (AG coating is not so strong, very comfortable), no annoying light bleeding, no color shift, no ghost. the PERFECT panel can used for laptop display indeed. It is shame that LG display is making blurry, eye-blowing craps instead this nowadays. also PWM pulsation is not seen in my 8760w.

sirkiwi

Excellent information. The minimum feature for me, at the very least, is a matte screen.

jim3

I love the tests on this site but the way they rank screens remains a mystery to me. They rank them by Adobe RGB coverage while almost all content you ever see is sRGB. Adobe RGB makes sense for photography ... but not when nearly all screens barely brake the 50% level. It would also be wrong to estimate the sRGB coverage from the Adobe RGB percentage because 65% Adobe may represent about 100% sRGB or just about 50% sRGB ... total non-sense in my opinion. Then I take offense with great screen rankings when the screen has too many pixels. Sorry, but Windows simply does NOT work with 4K. If you are not limited to the use of a very small number of programs - like for example exclusively Adobe software you simply cannot work with the sceen without setting it to a different resolution - and that means the screen quality has to be graded at THAT resolution. Also all mirror displays should get at least a 20% setback in that category. Oh yes, the Zenbook 500 is of course missing at the top (as is the ZBook 15 with DreamColor display). One other strange thing - notebookcheck.net systematically gets to different and normally worse measurment results than ANY other review site I ever came across. Over and over again NBC measures less gamut than anybody else. As I'm looking for a display with about 99+% sRGB all this is very annoying.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview