News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Should you buy an IPS monitor now?

Started by Redaktion, February 29, 2024, 15:43:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

At CES 2024 both LG and Samsung showed off their latest OLED monitors. With OLED monitors reaching up to 4K or more with 144 Hz refresh rates around the corner is it worth the wait?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Should-you-buy-an-IPS-monitor-now.808547.0.html

NikoB

You should under no circumstances buy AMOLED(OLED) that are harmful to the eyes and nervous system.
1. They are all flickering with a low PWM frequency (this is most harmful to the eyes, nervous system, especially children, just like on smartphones/tablets). If the PWM is nevertheless raised above 500Hz, the dynamic range of OLED deteriorates (this is especially noticeable on TV - where visible banding is present on all top TVs) and poor color accuracy. Plus, at a higher frequency (higher duty cycle), they burn out faster and become destabilized in color.
2. They always glare wildly, it is impossible to work on them in the presence of the slightest side or reflected light.
3. Their color resolution is always in question, because... the subpixel structure often shows that the color resolution does not correspond to the declared one.
4. Their burnout life is generally much less, especially on a light background, than that of IPS backlights. About 2-3 times.

A typical high-quality IPS/VA monitor displays images normally for at least 10 years. AMOLED doesn't even have such a resource. Everything will float much sooner.

If your work involves a static image 90% of the time or more, under no circumstances buy modern AMOLED monitors and laptops. They can only be used for dynamic pictures (as in TV) and for a number of dynamic games. This is where they have an absolute advantage. For work, forget about AMOLED if you value your health and eyes.

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on February 29, 2024, 17:25:19You should under no circumstances buy AMOLED(OLED)

AMOLED

under no circumstances buy modern AMOLED monitors and laptops.

forget about AMOLED if you value your health and eyes.

AMOLED and OLED is not the same despite being very similar, are you ever going to realize that?

AMOLED uses the active matrix (thus the letters AM in front of OLED, short for Active Matrix) which allows more precise pixel control and also faster pixel responses times for higher refresh rates. It also consumes less power compared to OLED and it has higher PWM on average while being more durable.

OLED panels have better colour accuracy and are thinner and lighter than AMOLEDs. They also have lower PWM (60 Hz very often). They also use a passive matrix which is slower and less precise than AMOLED's.

AMOLED panels are much more expensive to produce than OLEDs due to the additional layer of semiconductor material so you find them pretty much only in phones and (smart)watches and other fitness gear (bands and so on). The larger the display the higher the cost to produce. Those smaller devices benefit from its superior power efficiency over OLED and that's exactly why a smartphone with an AMOLED display can last many hours on a single active charge while OLED laptops suffer greatly from being used at full brightness on battery, at least when compared to IPS laptops.

George

YES you ABSOLUTELY should!!

Why?

Think "Blue".

OLED's dirty little secrete is that Blue wears out at an almost astronomical rate as compared to the other colors. Simply put - the life span of a OLED panel is dependent of the life span of - the BLUE pixels.

LCD's with LED back lighting can last orders of magnitude longer than a OLED display.

Disclaimer: Sure, YES OLED displays look WONDERFUL and I own a number of devices that have OLED displays.

lmao

Quote from: George on February 29, 2024, 20:08:16YES you ABSOLUTELY should!!
Quote from: George on February 29, 2024, 20:08:16YES OLED displays look WONDERFUL
it's a balanced pay-to-win
spend more money -> get more colorful and crisp displays -> just buy another one when it dies.
spend less money -> stick to old tech, it's still okay.

NikoB

OLED=AMOLED. All screens of smartphones, TVs, monitors and laptops are AMOLED. Otherwise, it is impossible to control OLED at the (sub)pixel level.

Just a passerby

Flickering and degradation, these are the concerns that many people have. I personally could not care less. I would buy an OLED monitor without a second thought.... if only I had enough money to do that.

NikoB

I have money for AMOLED, but I will never buy it, just like a smartphone with AMOLED.
Unfortunately, the bastards leave us no choice. It hasn't been available in smartphones for several years now. If you want a top camera and everything else, there is no more choice with IPS. Although they completely suit me and my eyes rest on them.

It's already clear that I can't wait for microLED. And there is little chance that they will be without flicker and without gloss with reflections. Apparently only the next generations will receive possibly ideal eye screens, but it is not clear what kind of technology this will be.

Although it is possible that in the future everyone will use lightweight glasses instead of screens (although the question immediately arises of transmitting a huge amount of information safely for humans and powering them without cables) or the projection of the image will be directly into the brain.

Remember - literally 35-40 years ago, no one could have imagined that there would be such devices as smartphones. But now they exist, although they have exhausted their novelty and progress in them has stopped.

Each next step requires more and more scientific and technological preparation. The trouble is that the scientific potential of humanity per person is not growing, but has begun to fall over the last 30 years. Fall quickly. Fundamental science is in ruins. There are almost no scientists left, only imitators of scientists...

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview