News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Lenovo ThinkPad T440 20B6005YGE Notebook

Started by Redaktion, April 15, 2014, 07:27:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Evergreen. Only a few notebooks have such a long history as the ThinkPad T-series. Lenovo follows the current trend with the latest 14-inch version and focuses on mobility in particular. There are also new components and input devices. Read our review to find out what you can expect from the working tool.  

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440-20B6005YGE-Notebook.114855.0.html

dede

This laptop kills absolutely terrible clickpad and integrated buttons for trackpoint. Nobody I had a chance to talk with likes this. So, I'm wondering how Lenovo figured out that people like it.

TN panel is also much worse than older models..

On the other side, the keyboard is not so bad.

Archie

Thank you notebook Check for this informative, useful and highly technical review.  This helped me to decide w/c laptop/ultra-book to buy. Keep on reviewing so other's will be benefited also.

André Martins

(I read this notebookcheck review a lot, and really enjoyed this site, so I decided to write some thoughts about my T-440).....
Okay, first of all, I am a Mac user for almost 20 years. But I decided to have a ultrabook, I needed a machine for write my dissertation and I have a Macbook AIr and an iMac, but I use both for audio recording, sound processing and music composition. I wanted a ultrabook with windows 8 and Office. That´s it. But, of course, is not as easy as we can think about it... I researched a lot. I mean, A LOT. I ended up with 2 options: Dell Latitude E7000 series and the ThinkPad T series. After some calling for both Dell and Lenovo [remembering that I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil], the guys at Lenovo made a really good offer to me on the T-440, i5 4300, 4th gen, 8GB RAM/1TB hd + 16 GB SSD, windows 8, no touch (my absolut item, no touch screen at all), backlight keyboard, SD card, USB 3, etc. I bought it, and after a week, I received at home. Kudos for Lenovo Brazil, I was able to track my order since the begining; I noticed that they use DHL Global Fowarding, but I have nothing to complaint, really. The T-440 arrived on time, I managed to setting windows 8 from the begining, and now I can share some thoughts with you. I used a lot reviews before buy anything, and I think it´s pretty fair to take some time and write the real stuff. My impressions, after while:
-amazing keyboard touch, type touch-feel. Absolutely, the best that I ever had. Way better than my Macbook Air 2013;
-TrackPad and trackPoit: GREAT, GREAT, do not listen to people that complain a lot about it; I mean, if you are an old user from the ThinkPad´s line, of course you can complain, because they changed the trackpad; but for me, that came from the Mac side, it is absolutely amazing. I wish my Macs had this little red pointer on the middle of the keyboard. I am already addicted to it. Fantastic;
-Battery: amazing: I tested everything, and it ended up leasting for more than 10 hours, after just the 1st charge. The T-440 has the powerbridge thing, one battery inside and another one replacable. I am used to my Macbook Air, who can live for hours and hours, and I am pretty satisfied with the T-440. Battery seems, so far, pretty professional. You can travel and work for hours, no doubt it.
-Screen: not that good, comparade with the MackBook. I mean, it is good, but a little annoying to see from wider angels. And I would prefer a little bit more resolution. I mean, it is good, bright and vibrant, and completely usable for what I need. But there are better screens out there. I guess that if the screen is absolutely an issue for you, take the T-440s. For me, it´s okay;
-Wifi: for while, just great. It came with the 16.0.5 intel´s drivers form the AN 7260, and I tested everything, no drops out, no loosing signal, nothing bad. I have 2 AIrports in my home and office, I even bought and downloaded the Home & Student Office´s via wifi, to really teste it, and walk thru my home, the signal is strong as my Macbook. I read lots of bad things about the drivers from intel for this board, but I think that it all fixed. I hope so, but, so far, so good.
-ports: just great. I love the fact that the T-440 has a VGA, for my work at the University, on projectors, it is really great. The Ethernet is another good thing, 2 USB´s #3 (one is always powered, it is possible to charge your phone or iPad), SD card alrealdy on use, for backup purposes, mini-display is great, it opnes for a wider use of connections, audio in/out together, as the Mac, and even has the 3G SIM card option. It´s well done. It could have the 3rd USB ,like the 440s, but I guess this is just a marketing option thing that Lenovo is doing.
-Weight/Size: very good. the T-440 is a professional ultrabook, if you know what I mean it. It´s solid as a rock, almost black in everything, well biut it, very expandable, not so heavy, can be trasported on any backpack or case.
Overall, I am really satisfied with the T-400. I really think that the Mac OSX is better than the Windows 8, but this is really another issue. Lenovo is doing a good job so far. I give 8,5 from 10. If had a better resolution and the 3rd USB port, would give a 9.

Junk

The touchpad is AWFUL. It moves forward and back and can move side to side as well (side to side is not as big an issue). Attempts to double click generally result in the cursor moving during the second click. Right clicking has been a problem on probably 4 of the 10 or so Lenovo's we have bought.  The right click is interpreted as a left click on those 4.  We have bought them over a 6 or 8 month period, so it is not a bad batch, it is either poor design or consistently poor assembly.  Keep in mind that this same design is used on the X240, and we have the same problem.

Admittedly I far prefer having 2 buttons, but the fact is, this model without the 2 buttons is poorly designed and implemented.  I have a Dell with no buttons with the touchpad, and that touchpad is rigid and works as it should.  So preference aside, I know the design can work.

We have been a Lenovo shop for some years, and we are now looking at other options

cerulean

Great review! Love the T440 as an office workhorse. On my ideapad 510 i've disabled the trackpad completely. When I got the 440 at work i was pleasantly surprised and the quirks are barely a setback now.  I don't feel so bad when I forget to bring a mouse to a meeting!

rupesh

As usual every new thinkpad version has more problems as compared to its previous versions.

Power on button moved to corner. You must be used to not keeping your fingers there while holding the laptop or else shutdown.

Basic functions keys from 1 to 10 has been made as secondary even though they are more frequently used. So now you have to press function key i.e. 3 keys at once to use the basic functionality.
lenovo thinks people use more of the multimedia keys rather then basic operation keys.

Mousepad also very bad with just one plate used for all mouse functions and you need to practice it before getting used to it. No separate mouse keys provided.

Battery also is of bad quality and getting worn much faster then 430s.

Looks like lenovo has its own logic and its laptop standards is made not with customers preference but customers are expected to change their preference to adopt Lenovo standards.

Lenovo designs its laptops user interface not by experts but by some cobbler/barber/sweepers.

D

Is the colour profile provided here working correctly? Doesn't seem so for mine.

Colin B

With an article mentioning how dated and inadequate certain things are on the the machine, I cant believe it does not mention how dated the mouse buttons are for the red pointer.  Its the 21st century, the only people that care about it are IBM warriors from the 90s.  Teach yourself how to use the trackpad!  What am I talking about, everyone has a wireless mouse, they even make them the size of a half dollar so you can stick em in your cargo pant pocket.  I think the majority of laptop reviews are an extreme case over of analysis.  The majority of people using them are looking at excel, reviewing email, and working on other software.   Lenovo knows what they are doing and speak to the VAST majority of their clientele (99%).  If you need a screen with more performance than even the base model, then buy a laptop built/known for high performance graphics.  I have an Macbook and I have a T440, and work on a computer all day.  Never have I once had to put the T440 down because it didn't do something the Macbook does.  I think we need to keep that in mind with the majority of reviews.   

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview