News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Review Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 20C60041 Notebook

Started by Redaktion, January 25, 2014, 08:39:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Fade to gray. Lenovo's series E540 is designed for business users who are looking for an inexpensive and individually configurable 15.6-inch notebook. While certain mobility features take a back seat, the quality of the tried-and-true ThinkPad input devices is still a priority for Lenovo. The E540 is a pretty impressive notebook overall and its one obvious shortcoming seems almost unavoidable in this price class.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-Edge-E540-20C60041-Notebook.109012.0.html

Kugla

This laptop has serious power issue, on which Lenovo has so far refused to comment on. It is discussed here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/E540-power-issue/m-p/1414861#M25587

I am returning mine today.

.Den

I have no power problems with smaller E440 (i5, 740GT, 8GB, 1TB+16GB SSHD) though. Hope it won't appear. :)

Raheel Rao

HI,

i just want to know Lenovo Thinpad Edge E540 / E440 has fix processor or can be exchangeable like i5 to i7???

NJ

@Kugla - It appears "Lenovo Solution for Small Business (LSSB)" was responsible for some power issues. A fix is detailed here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/Re-E540-power-issue/m-p/1497822#M27852

manjibu

denne

I have owned the Lenovo E540 for 7 months now without major problems. My monitor cable was faulty but that was replaced and the computer has been running fine since then. Running 2.07 bios currently.

denne

Quote from: manjibu on May 31, 2014, 15:57:01
Anyone know if E440/E540 has mSata slot or m.2/NGFF Sata slot?

Lenovo site says NGFF M.2 is optional on the E540 so I guess that is what you're after.

Rob Lipton

I have the e540 with the I7, windows 7 pro and a 250g ssd, it's great!  hardly ever crashes, is super fast, decent battery life, very very good value.  No complaints at all, although I back lit keyboard would be nice, but I got a little led usb thingy that works fine.  Paid less than 1k for this, very happy with it.

WinCrazy

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 20C6008SUS i5-4200M

Pros: Very fast; Nice "Chiclet" style keyboard; Good Lenovo utilities and drivers; Anti-glare screen !!! ; Matte surface finish; 7200 rpm HDD; Top-of-the-line i5 CPU (4200M 2.60 GHz); Fingerprint reader useful (?) for a Windows quick log-in;

Cons: Deceptive trackpad that only appears to malfunction. I've tripped across a video briefly explaining this new generation of Lenovo trackpads with sophisticated multiple regions for special functions; No drive or WiFi status indicators (For shame, Lenovo); Only 4GB of RAM installed when max possible is 16GB (Again, for shame, Lenovo); Fn button state is reversed from the human-being-normal convention. <Fn-Esc> locks it into the normal functionality convention; Combined audio mic-or-line input/line output jack.

Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful, fast and slick PC. </rant> It's a real shame Lenovo didn't include in the design what other manufacturers think is absolute standard hardware features: Indicator lights and a dedicated audio input jack. And, what's the deal with shipping this model with only 4GB of memory ?! It's very inexpensive these days. I mean, they put extra bucks into this machine with a 7200 rpm hard drive, Blutooth, 2# USB 3.0 jacks and this new wireless controller function, but they couldn't afford a lousy 2 more indicator lights ? HUH ??? </end rant>

There's a dedicated Fn key to toggle the WiFi adapter on/off, but none to toggle the screen on/off.

B. Gaugler

I have had unacceptable performance from my Lenovo E540 ThinkPad.

Purchased July 8th 2014. after 6 weeks had to replace the motherboard. Now, I have to replace the screen. This is not heavy duty. I am a service manager and use my laptop for office and field service use. This is not heavy duty and should not be stated as so. If your in your office seated at your desk, or seated with the extremely heavy unit on your lap using it, you're fine. Don't use it for anything else. It will break.

Islam Bazarbek

Hi guys!! Is this laptop silent??? Is it noisy when it runs and when just using Office and web browsing??

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview